22RTE-Trucks
July 20, 2019, 03:56:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Hi all - Welcome back for the second time this month!

I apologize for the inconvenience of the site being offline. The site was down for technical reasons, but it didn't help that I was of offline for two weeks (camping and travel). Once I got back, it took a while to get things sorted out. That's resolved, and the site is now back up. Huzzah!

Please take a minute and read the Site News thread I've posted in the General section, and feel free to comment. Thanks!

mosk
Admin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Ebay Manifolds (9003Dave) Avoid!!  (Read 21935 times)
WesternSouthern
Two cylinders

Room Temperature Vulcanizer

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2009, 11:38:51 PM »

I just scored this off ebay, brand new.  Figured I would give it a try as the price was low and the guy who makes them lives about 80 miles south of here so I jumped.  Pretty sad looking thing once you get it in your hands.  There is one bolt hole that has a pretty much non-existant hole margin, the welds are so so, about what i expected for the price.   I don't see any way that that hole with nearly zero edge margin is going to last under more than a few heat cycles.  I'm going to try to return this thing, I don't have even a little faith in this product.  Buyer beware!

« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 11:29:30 PM by WesternSouthern » Logged

1986 4runner Turbo
1986 4x4 Pickup 22R
and now...
1987 4runner SR5 22RE
MT_turbotoy
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 11:55:21 PM »

ya i bought a so called Denso O2 sensor of ebay and it failed in like 2 months after installed it failed....its hard finding quality on ebay

87 pickup xtra-cab 22rte 5 speed
Stage II procomp IFS lift
Ronmar
Global Moderator
All cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 12:19:18 AM »

My sone got a "Deal" on a turbo kit for his CRX/Acura.  The welded stainless tube turbo manifold that came with the kit was not straight.  It set the turbo at about a 10 degree angle.  The seller said that was how it was supposed to be and all of theirs were like that.  It caused engine compartment clearance issues, so we had cut the turbo flange off and re-weld it so the turbo set level.  I commented to him when we did this, that I thought the tubeing used was a little thin for all that turbo weight.  this was about 6 months ago.  I came home from work the other day to find his car in the garage.  He had the turbo and manifold on the bench, and every tube was cracked near the top where it was welded to the engine exhaust flange.

Some times that good deal, isn't...  My son, a little wiser now,  has found a new manifold.  This one is made with Schedule 40 stainless(.130") throughout.       

Ron

It ain't broke till I can't make parts for it...
My gallery
Deric
Two cylinders

OH IO OH IO

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 12:23:45 AM »

Same deal here!!!!
Ok so here is my story.
I bet if you look at your shipping label you will see the same as me.
Jason J******
SHRK2THGRL

I bought my first one from the seller SHRK2THGRL. One weld cracked all the way around, but started to bubble the pipe. So I learn that the seller is no longer registered. Ok...
I see one for sale by this DAVE charcter. The pics and listing is the exact same. So im thinking cool ill email him and i can get it "fixed" as it is warrantied.
This guy says he is not that seller and others was selling inferior parts...
Odd... Same pics and all...
So I called dad and asked him to buy one under his account.
Dad calls and I go over to pick it up.
Shipping label says JASON ....................... SHRK2THGRL.............
My blood pressure went up. I checked my paypal transaction and it was the same guy....
I emaled the seller "DAVE" and he gives me some spu that hes not jason and here is his email addy.
Im sending my cracked unit back. I will update with progress on this thread.
Also the new one I got was as shitty as this one in these pics and it warped after 120 miles, no bull shit.
Im contacting paypal tonight for dispute, the seller will not answer my emails. I will also update on this as well.
This so far is over $500.00 wasted on trying to have a decent manifold. I am going to use a set of pacesetter headers and make a different downpipe for a t3 flange. A rather simple way to get a tubular type of design.   I knew I should have done this in the first place!

http://www.supermotors.net/users/fats
MegaSquirt EFI Builder
Email for details
WesternSouthern
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 02:24:39 AM »

Yep, same guy.  I will also update if/when i get a reply to my asking for a refund on the manifold.   

1986 4runner Turbo
1986 4x4 Pickup 22R
and now...
1987 4runner SR5 22RE
tig321
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 03:37:10 AM »

You guys have seen this link haven't you? http://www.sdsefi.com/techheader.htm
If I undersand you right you want to use the collector from the pacesetter headers for a turbo manifold? The tubing would be way too thin and wouldn't handle the heat or the weight of the turbo.
Aaroneous
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 09:02:02 PM »

Those welds arent even so-so  Lips sealed  Sucks you got a bum deal.  I think you are wise not to run it and trying to get your money back.  Curious, whats the tube side look like?

x2 on what tig321 said
Deric
Two cylinders

OH IO OH IO

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 11:10:25 PM »

I would not mount it at the collector silly. What I was saying is makeing a down pipe that come back up to the same location as our top mounts. Naturally have it made from stainless. Wink

MegaSquirt EFI Builder
Email for details
turtlecharged_RN5
Global Moderator
Three cylinders

'86 SR5 Turbo X-tra Cab

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 07:30:29 PM »

With either a cast manifold or tubular header, it is a good idea to have some hefty support brackets supporting the weight of the turbo.

A tubular header without support brackets will crack and fatigue the tubing for sure.
Shanex-2
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 10:47:07 PM »

I also have one of those headers made by shrk2thgrl but never used it because I didn't think it would flow well and I didn't like the flange being at an angle . I do hear that the manafold that lc engineering carries made by steed speed works well even though it is a little pricey.

function befor style
WesternSouthern
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 08:26:25 PM »

Hey, maybe we should all get together and do a group purchase of SteedSpeed manifolds for about $500.00 each  Shocked   Heh, well...a boy can dream can't he?  Tongue

Any update on your paypal claim Darin?  Let me guess, he hasn't even logged in to reply to your dispute. 

I will take some pictures of the tube side of the manifold when i get home from work as requested.

1986 4runner Turbo
1986 4x4 Pickup 22R
and now...
1987 4runner SR5 22RE
Deric
Two cylinders

OH IO OH IO

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 10:09:27 PM »

No im a liar...
Read this crap

3/29/2009 18:24 PDT - PayPal: Seller escalated this dispute to a Claim.
3/29/2009 18:24 PDT - Seller: There is Nothing Wrong with the manifold I sold this person The buyer is Making a False Claim. If you will notice the BUYER is NEW to eBay.I have no idea why they are lying.I have sold Many of these manifolds on eBay (Review my feedback and you will see) and have lots of GREAT and POSITIVE FEEDBACK. Dave
3/26/2009 17:55 PDT - Buyer: The manifold is warped/not level. I would like another sent to me or a refund. Once I recieve a new unit I will ship this unit back with tracking if that is the sellers chosen route.Thanks

MegaSquirt EFI Builder
Email for details
WesternSouthern
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 10:22:57 PM »

Unbelievable.....
Thanks for the update, I will be sending in my claim dispute tonight.  I wonder if he will call me a lying newb?  Well, there is no lie that he didn't get it aligned correctly on the jig, the proof is in the hole pattern (i wonder if he even uses a jig!).
  I also plan to blast him about changing his name from Jason to Dave and keeping the same "SHRK2THGRL" handle.
  We shall see.

1986 4runner Turbo
1986 4x4 Pickup 22R
and now...
1987 4runner SR5 22RE
WesternSouthern
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 12:23:22 AM »

Curious, whats the tube side look like?

Not great, but not terrible either.