22RTE-Trucks
March 24, 2019, 07:19:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New members: Due to spam -- and you wouldn't believe how much there is -- new membership is not granted automatically. To become a member, please complete the registration process AND send an email to admin@22rte-trucks.com. The email can be brief, and should demonstrate you are a real person interested in these trucks and not a spammer. Your privacy is respected, and your email address will never be shared. See this threadfor more info.

New members MUST follow through with an email or their membership will not be approved.

Really: No email, no membership!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Strange Noise Above 3k  (Read 17855 times)
strokerfiero
Two cylinders

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2008, 07:14:14 PM »

I thought I better start a new topic, anyways as some of you know I just got my toyota running (finally) and now that it's running its making a detonation like noise from the top end above 3000 rpms. I don't even have to get it into boost without it making the noise. It seems to run alright from what little I can tell and sounds perfect till it gets above 3 grand. Is it possible that maybe the timing is freaking out and advancing way more than its supposed to? I also have a vacuum valve on top of the valve cover that the wires are broken off of, does anybody know what this goes to?

86 Turbo Runner
strokerfiero
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 10:32:18 PM »

Updated news after screwing with it for a couple hours today. I hooked up the vacuum thing and that made no difference. I also retarded the timing as far as i could and that still didn't do anything. So I was starting to get pissed and I unhooked the waste gate and held it wide open so it wouldn't boost. The noise went away! I could rev it way up and no noise.  I don't understand because according to my gauge the most boost that I was pushing was only five pounds. Now I don't know what to do. Should my gauge go to zero under WOT? Mine did with the waste gate hooked up but didn't when I unhooked it.

86 Turbo Runner
Ronmar
Global Moderator
All cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 10:57:40 PM »

Where is your boost gauge hooked up to? 

What gauge are you refering to in this question?  "Should my gauge go to zero under WOT? Mine did with the waste gate hooked up but didn't when I unhooked it."

Your boost gauge should be hooked to your intake manifold(IE: between throttle body and cylinder head.  There are usually a few vacume ports on the rear of the plenum box/chamber.  Under normal conditions, a vacume/boost gauge connected to the manifold should read a vacume at idle.  Mine reads about 17" at idle.  As you advance the throttle, this reading will increase toward zero.  As the engine is loaded more and more, the turbo will start to add boost and increase the pressure above zero, up to the point that the waste gate starts to let exhaust past the turbine to limit the boost pressure...

Ron

It ain't broke till I can't make parts for it...
My gallery
strokerfiero
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 12:37:01 AM »

I have a vac/boost gauge that I just installed. Its connected to the intake manifold after the throttle body and reads around 17-18" at idle once its warmed up. With my wastegate wired open and I mash on the throttle, it still stays on the vacuum side. Is it supposed to hit zero under load without the turbo? I have a manual boost controller that I turned down all the way today and got it to finally spool without the noise, but I was only boosting three to four pounds according to my gauge. I was planning on doing a compression test tomorrow to see if it even has turbo pistons in it. I'm pretty sure the noise that I'm hearing is pre-detonation.

86 Turbo Runner
Deric
Two cylinders

OH IO OH IO

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 03:18:26 PM »

You may want to check your timing. More than likely this will be your issue.

http://www.supermotors.net/users/fats
MegaSquirt EFI Builder
Email for details
strokerfiero
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 04:05:33 PM »

I kinda did already just by loosening the distributor and turning it both ways as far as I could and it still made the noise. Where exactly is the connector that I'm supposed to jump?

86 Turbo Runner
strokerfiero
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 05:37:20 PM »

I can't figure out how to time this thing Angry I did do a comression test this morning and its at about 120 through all the cylinders.

86 Turbo Runner
Ronmar
Global Moderator
All cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 02:01:04 AM »

With the wastegate wide open, the vac/boost gauge should approach pretty close to 0 under heavy load, so that sounds about like a normal indication.

Exactly what truck do you have?  On the RTE's, there are a few plugs hanging over by the ignition coil.  On the 86, the model with which I am most familliar, The stock configuration has some rubber plugs on the inside of the drivers side fender well that they plug into for stowage.  The check connector Is a round yellow plug with 2 wires.  By putting a jumper into the end of this plug(connecting "T" to "E1"), it will alow you to read the trouble codes from the ECU.  This also puts the ECU into the baseline timing mode.  At the proper RPM, the distributor should be adjusted to 5 degrees BTDC.  When the jumper is removed, the spark advance will return to ECU control.  The throttle plate must also be fully closed and making up the idle point contacts in the TPS.  If it isn't, this will cause an engine code of 11 to be flashed by the check engine light, and the ECU will NOT set the timing to the baseline adjust mode.

Newer model trucks have all the check connector test points combined into a single multi pin plug.  On my daughters 88, it is over behind the fuse panel and battery on the passengers side of the engine compartment.  The same connections, "T" and "E1" are still jumpered to get the engine into diagnosis/baseline timing mode. 

Ron

It ain't broke till I can't make parts for it...
My gallery
Deric
Two cylinders

OH IO OH IO

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 02:56:39 AM »

His should be over by the power steering fluid res. There are two plugs mounted to the inner fender under the hood. The one that has two female spade plugs at the end is the one you should jump with a paper clip. You will need a timing light and you will need to set it at a base timing of 5* for the 86 rte.

http://www.supermotors.net/users/fats
MegaSquirt EFI Builder
Email for details
strokerfiero
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 05:03:22 AM »

You guys are freaking awesome!! Thanx so much for the help. I'll get it timed tomorrow morning and let you know the results. Also I moved my fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose from just after the air filter to a vacuum port off the manifold with no change in noise.

86 Turbo Runner
strokerfiero
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 07:30:34 PM »

I timed it this morning and still nothing. Do you think maybe a plugged exhaust could cause pre-detonation? I think I'll bring it to a local shop and have them hook it up to a scope and see if they can figure anything out.

86 Turbo Runner
strokerfiero
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 02:30:18 PM »

Also, are most of you guys running the MSD 6 BTM? Is this something I will need eventually If I want to go with megasquirt and want better control of my spark?

86 Turbo Runner
dcg9381
Global Moderator
All cylinders

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 03:39:56 PM »

Also, are most of you guys running the MSD 6 BTM? Is this something I will need eventually If I want to go with megasquirt and want better control of my spark?

Check your timing.  After confirming base timing, unplug the jumpers, and verify the "advanced" timing at idle.
Then run the truck up at idle - no load.  Confirm timing at 1k, 1.5k, 2k, 2.5k, 3k, 3.5k. 
Tell us what those numbers are. 
(I'm looking for advancing timing here, it'll likely take someone with a stock truck to check against your actual numbers - the numbers may be changed by throttle position and AFM measurements, but they should be consistent across 22RTEs in general)

I think that tremendous detonation at low load is unlikely.  If you have a timing failure, it's more likely not to advance than provide too much advance... Also, the 22RTE head gasket isn't going to survive many loaded runs with big detonation... Trust me, I know...

Do you know what a rattling timing chain sounds like?  Does it make the sound at idle during free-rev?

If you keep the wastegate open, do you still have the same problem?

strokerfiero
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 07:23:34 PM »

I haven't had time to mess with it much, but I'll get to tomorrow. After I set my base timing at 5 degrees I unplugged the jumper and If I remember right It went to 10 degrees. When I started to raise the idle, I couldn't make out the timing mark on the pulley anymore so this weekend I'll mark it better and see if I can spot it. I'm positive its not the timing chain. I've done numerous timing chains on these and its different. It does not make the noise with the wastegate wired open. I even took it for a gutless spin around the block and even under great load it doesn't make the noise with the wastegate open. Could a single plugged injector maybe cause this? It idles fine and seems to run pretty good under boost, but I don't push it cause of the noise. I did get pissed off the other day and held it to the floor till I saw it hit 10 pounds at 4k, probably wasn't the greatest thing on the motor. I'm thinking I'll be lucky to figure the problem out before I blow it up

86 Turbo Runner
dcg9381
Global Moderator
All cylinders

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 07:59:20 PM »

I've had injectors stick open and stay closed.  I didn't get detonation, I just got a decrease in power and obviously running on 3-cylinders.

Sometimes it helps to see the timing mark if you paint it with a stripe of white or otherwise bright paint.

Your idle is otherwise good and solid?  No codes are being thrown?  Go through the procedure for adjusting TPS?  Being clear of codes is going to be critical before progressing to trying to drive the thing.

I'm curious as to what your cranking compression is also.. If you've got working "stock" timing, reasonable boost, and decent fuel... Then you're pointing to another factor for detonation.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: