22RTE-Trucks
May 20, 2019, 10:34:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New members: Due to spam -- and you wouldn't believe how much there is -- new membership is not granted automatically. To become a member, please complete the registration process AND send an email to admin@22rte-trucks.com. The email can be brief, and should demonstrate you are a real person interested in these trucks and not a spammer. Your privacy is respected, and your email address will never be shared. See this threadfor more info.

New members MUST follow through with an email or their membership will not be approved.

Really: No email, no membership!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: my motor. any possible problems?  (Read 22454 times)
kipres
One cylinder

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2008, 06:01:12 PM »

ok i got this runner in feb of this year for 1000.00 , it was missing the turbo and the digital cluster, i found both for under 150.00. now i want to install the turbo but i have an 22r block with the 22rete top end so i have to tap in for the oil somewhere . any ideas ? and would my motor be an issue ?
mosk
Pooh Bah
Administrator
All cylinders

Been there, done that

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 03:22:37 AM »

For the turbo oil feed, use a T in the oil pressure sending unit and tap in there, or use the plugged and unused port that sits behind the intake-side motor mount.

For the turbo oil drain, you may be able to drill the hole in the stock 22RTE location, which is on the exhaust side, near the bottom of the block, more or less in the middle. If your motor has the two bosses for the stock turbo oil drain studs, all you need to do is drill the hole in the middle. If it doesn't, you would do well to drop the oil pan and have a fitting welded on, near the top of the pan.

-Jeff

Ugly, but probably worth reading: Jeff's 22R-TE Page
Just sayin': If Ronmar and I both post on the same topic, listen to Ronmar! His answers are typically better and more accurate than mine. Cheesy
kipres
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 04:28:49 AM »

For the turbo oil feed, use a T in the oil pressure sending unit and tap in there, or use the plugged and unused port that sits behind the intake-side motor mount.

For the turbo oil drain, you may be able to drill the hole in the stock 22RTE location, which is on the exhaust side, near the bottom of the block, more or less in the middle. If your motor has the two bosses for the stock turbo oil drain studs, all you need to do is drill the hole in the middle. If it doesn't, you would do well to drop the oil pan and have a fitting welded on, near the top of the pan.

-Jeff

thanks! far as my motor goes,is it going to be ok ?
2manytoyz
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 05:46:33 AM »

Drill a hole in the oil pan,works great
Coat the drill with heavy grease to catch most the shavings.

I would pull the oil pan and make a good inlet,just make sure its above the oil line
kipres
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 05:55:51 AM »

thanks for info . what if i do the return in the top of the valve cover would that work ?
Deric
Two cylinders

OH IO OH IO

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 06:01:57 AM »

It must drain down, if not you will blow your seal in the turbo.

http://www.supermotors.net/users/fats
MegaSquirt EFI Builder
Email for details
kipres
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 08:07:16 PM »

ok thanks
Ronmar
Global Moderator
All cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 12:53:55 AM »

Yep, Deric is right, the oil needs to drain away from the turbo unobstructed, so the turbo mid section needs to be oriented so the oil inlet is on the top and the drain is out the bottom.  I seem to recall an install instruction that said that these ports must be within 15 degrees of vertical... 

Ron

It ain't broke till I can't make parts for it...
My gallery
Ronmar
Global Moderator
All cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 12:42:28 AM »

I had occasion to look at my Daughters 88 R-E last night and the turbo oil supply and return points are cast into the block, just not machined.  I don't think I would want to machine out and tap the oil supply port, unless the engine was down to a bare block.  No telling how far you might have to drill to reach the oil gallery either.

You could in theory drill out and tap the return port and stud holes like a R-TE, but using that oil return location also has issues on the R-E as the lower radiator pipe routing on the R-E is right across in front of where the R-TE return is located.  The lower radiator piping on the R-TE is farther away from the block to allow the oil return pipe to get to the port on the bottom of the block. 

Probably better off welding a NPT bung to the oil pan in this case...   

Ron

It ain't broke till I can't make parts for it...
My gallery
Deric
Two cylinders

OH IO OH IO

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 02:04:24 AM »

Though its not practical or cost effective, but rear mounted turbo kits use a mini electric oil pump. That is an option to be able to return to valve cove? Wink

http://www.supermotors.net/users/fats
MegaSquirt EFI Builder
Email for details
mosk
Pooh Bah
Administrator
All cylinders

Been there, done that

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 03:51:10 AM »

I had occasion to look at my Daughters 88 R-E last night and the turbo oil supply and return points are cast into the block, just not machined.  I don't think I would want to machine out and tap the oil supply port, unless the engine was down to a bare block.  No telling how far you might have to drill to reach the oil gallery either.   

All the way through the block to hit the oil galley on the intake side. Not fir the unskilled or faint-hearted, that's for sure. To be honest, you need a jig and a spare block to sacrifice to get it right.

Ugly, but probably worth reading: Jeff's 22R-TE Page
Just sayin': If Ronmar and I both post on the same topic, listen to Ronmar! His answers are typically better and more accurate than mine. Cheesy
dcg9381
Global Moderator
All cylinders

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 07:58:46 PM »

22r block with the 22rete top

Specify exactly what bottom end you have (I'm assuming 22RTE top end).  It can make a difference.

kipres
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 05:51:12 AM »

ok,  so i blew a head gasket, while it was apart i found out i have a 22r block with the te internals, my head is not a te head, the only thing thats te is the intake,and the turbo. now i am about to put it back together. i need pics of alternate oil and water hook ups.   thanks 
dcg9381
Global Moderator
All cylinders

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 07:46:13 PM »

i don't have easy pics - but for oil pickup check under the passenger side engine mount.
For water, I "T" off of the inlet to the heater core.

kipres
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 02:03:29 AM »

cool thanks.  next , will 22re injectors work?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: