22RTE-Trucks
October 23, 2018, 08:16:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New members: Due to spam -- and you wouldn't believe how much there is -- new membership is not granted automatically. To become a member, please complete the registration process AND send an email to admin@22rte-trucks.com. The email can be brief, and should demonstrate you are a real person interested in these trucks and not a spammer. Your privacy is respected, and your email address will never be shared. See this threadfor more info.

New members MUST follow through with an email or their membership will not be approved.

Really: No email, no membership!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 86 Turbo its been awhile  (Read 192 times)
spideynut
Two cylinders

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2018, 09:31:38 AM »

Its been in paint for about year and a half. The plan was to look stock as possible with goodies here and there. We started with the top end about 8yrs ago thats when I found this site. Wow what a bunch of info I collected from here. I true oasis of vital info, specs, pictures and what ever else I needed for the 86 5spd sr5 p/w, p/l, cold a/c. After reading here we got ahold of DOA for a mild custom grind setup we had the turbo rebuilt, head redone, arp studs, MSD, 2.5in flex exh, magna flow and a manual boost control. Added the 3 gauge pillar pod got some vdo gauges turbo, temp and oil. I drove it around for a half a decade or so saving up for paint. Once I had enough dough trying to find a shop to break it down to bare bones and build it back up was tough. No shop wanted to touch it most didnt even give me a quote. I wanted treated like a classic car I was up front about it, all glass out, bed off etc.. people pretty much just laughed. Then I remembered I have an old high school buddy who has been running a collision and tow for a few yrs. I brought the truck with me before I even talked to him because I knew he wouldnt be able to resist. I told him its my second car so I dont need it back and that I am good with long term project 1yr+ (I liked the fact I could spend the money I had saved and save it back up over the long winter;) I even asked if he wanted a deposit he was like no "I want all of the money one time a big chunk" ouch. They got to work right away. It was in primer after about a month. I was thinking oh shoot I dont have the money haha.. Anyway it went on the back burner for about 6 months. He finished the bed a few weeks ago. Its getting spray liner after so hes only preping the inside. We have stock decals and a bit more assembly and I think it should be done:)

Taken about 2 weeks ago.
cdd408
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 04:56:48 AM »

Looks good
spideynut
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 11:48:47 PM »

Hey thanks, Im having a hard time finding small clips and things to finish it off show room floor style. Like right now im looking for those clips in the tailgate jam that hold the tg hanger when the tg is closed.  The buzzer switch in the door jam etc.. any leads lmk.
ReelDeal
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 05:22:55 AM »

Looks great! You are right about no one wanted to tough your truck without cost some big $$$ plus your 1st born male child. I completely disassembled my truck and sot it myself, but it helps to have your own spray booth. The results are night and day different. Good luck with the details!
T
spideynut
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 08:17:59 AM »

Looks great! You are right about no one wanted to tough your truck without cost some big $$$ plus your 1st born male child. I completely disassembled my truck and sot it myself, but it helps to have your own spray booth. The results are night and day different. Good luck with the details!
T

Yes its getting up there in $$. I really wanted to do this to an 85 extra cab but never could find the right one. I did find a guy today on epay making vac diagrams for under the hood and some glove box stickers but I dont know I used to always peel those off when I was younger. lol..
spideynut
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 10:19:19 AM »

Well went to the shop to start the truck for the first time in a year and a half. After some fooling around figured out the elbow connected to the turbo intake side is cracked. Worst part is I did it spraying to much starting fluid it back fired and cracked the elbow plus blew off the intake! The elbow was shot anyway. So anyone know where to get one? after market or what ever.
spideynut
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 07:19:33 AM »

I have some pics of the decals they went on pretty smooth.
Turned on the flash to confirm the reflector decal:)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: