22RTE-Trucks
December 10, 2018, 09:05:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Hi all - Welcome back for the second time this month!

I apologize for the inconvenience of the site being offline. The site was down for technical reasons, but it didn't help that I was of offline for two weeks (camping and travel). Once I got back, it took a while to get things sorted out. That's resolved, and the site is now back up. Huzzah!

Please take a minute and read the Site News thread I've posted in the General section, and feel free to comment. Thanks!

mosk
Admin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fouled Spark Plug  (Read 361 times)
ReelDeal
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2018, 02:47:00 AM »

Yikes! I didn't see that one coming! What are the options? New block? bore all od cylinders? Sleeve?
psychohamster
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2018, 05:27:47 AM »

Right now it all comes down to what the supplier is willing to do. I'm fearful they will claim it is not under any warranty and I'll be shit out of luck. My son and I have done business with them in the past by buying parts and they even rebuilt a transmission for us too. Hopefully they can do something as this is an issue that is way out of anything imaginable, at least to me and others including mechanics. Who can afford to replace an engine every 5,000 miles? Right now it is burning a quart of oil every tank of gas and fouling plugs every 100 miles but it doesn't noticeably smoke except after a long deceleration or if you jump on it at cruising speed. I was perplexed that the problem seamed to be it was only fouling #1 plug and I had a noticeable amount of blow by coming from the front valve cover breather hose into the intake hose right after the AFM. I contacted a tech at the supplier a few months ago about this problem and he said it was either the rings or a valve issue and never mentioned this was a possibility. I have just found out that when the engine was first shipped it was seized and had to be sent back so I'm wondering if it was returned and reshipped with it being predisposed to its current condition whether apparent or not. I have always had an issue with high oil consumption but I just attributed that to a long break in until I had a total #1 plug failure due to oil fouling (the electrode was caked solid). I really can't afford to repair this again and I don't have a place to part it so I might have to scrap the truck or sell it for virtually nothing.
ReelDeal
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2018, 05:28:23 PM »

Oh man....I am hoping for a fair solution
psychohamster
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2018, 03:50:50 AM »

OK, the latest update as of 11/29. I talked to the mechanic that originally put in the engine and he said he has talked to the supplier/builder. First issue is we are about a year past the one year warranty. Second, they are questioning the turbo, I guess they might suspect a pressure issue. Third, when the mechanic scoped the engine and found the defect in the cylinder wall he also noticed the engine was built with flat top pistons and not the dished pistons used in the RTE. So at this point I'm waiting for everyone to discuss what course of action is going to happen. Should the one year warranty prevail over the incorrect parts being used? I'll post when I know more.
ReelDeal
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2018, 05:37:46 PM »

Any updates?
psychohamster
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2018, 02:37:13 AM »

Not yet, I plan to contact the mechanic sometime next week. He did the work so I figured he would be the best one to deal with it. I'll post with any updates.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: