22RTE-Trucks
May 26, 2018, 11:29:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Hi all - Welcome back for the second time this month!

I apologize for the inconvenience of the site being offline. The site was down for technical reasons, but it didn't help that I was of offline for two weeks (camping and travel). Once I got back, it took a while to get things sorted out. That's resolved, and the site is now back up. Huzzah!

Please take a minute and read the Site News thread I've posted in the General section, and feel free to comment. Thanks!

mosk
Admin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 8.0:1 or 9.8:1 Mechanical Compression?  (Read 26 times)
Alohayota
Two cylinders

dat ass tho. Lol

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2018, 04:13:57 AM »

Hi all! I need some Genius help. ( skip to the bottom for the question.)

Years ago in high school I rebuilt my '87 22RE-T. It was my introduction into the industry. Currently I am a much more knowledgeable and skilled technician. Unfortunately I don't know everything (Crazy right  Wink ), and i would love some expert advice.

I am in the process of building the motor. Current parts list includes

ENGINE:
Stock block (currently being machined)
Stock crank (was able to polish journals, but keep stock diameter)
New "Stage 3" cylinder head. Extra port work and combustion chamber deburring/polishing done by yours truly (chambers now 1cc oversized, exact on all 4. I did not like all the hotspots left by LCE")
Pro Turbo camshaft and Valve train that came with the head. From LCE
I Changed the "stage 3" head valve springs to the dual spring set w/ titanium keepers (8500rpm springs, 110psi seat pressure and 210psi at .500")
Dual Timing chain conversion kit with included water and oil pump from LCE
Chromoly H-Beam connecting rods and CP lightweight high compression piston set from LCE
ARP Head studs and stock thickness gasket
55mil T3/T4 hybrid turbo charger. With a Bar/ Plate air to air cooler.
I think i got it all, maybe. All the misc stuff to go along of course.

Controller = Megasquirt PnP2 ECU
Stock engine harness, Cleaned, repaired and rewraped.

Ignition = Fast ignition waste coil conversion kit( If i remember correctly, its in the garage)

Now for my question.

I have not yet ordered the pistons mentioned above. LCE offers a few compression ratios. 8.0:1, 9.8:1, 10.5:1 and 12:1. See them all here =

https://www.lceperformance.com/Piston-Rod-Set-22R-RE-H-BeamRods-Forged-Pistons-19-p/1010015.htm

Now I have not figured out which compression ratio I would like to go with. I figure obviously with the 8.0 pistons I could run higher boost levels, but with the 9.8 I would have better lower end torque.
I have not yet done the math to determine the effective compression of either set. Nor have I decided exactly what boost I should run. I will figure it all out soon, but I would like your guy's opinion.
Do you think the block/piston/rod/head combo could handle a 9.8:1 mechanical compression with say 10, 13 or 15psi of boost? or should I play it safe with the 8.0:1?

Some advice would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to ask anything if you have questions about the build. Pictures available also.

This truck is the reason I got into the automotive industry. Its part of why i am so successful at my young age. I have been patching everything i screwed up on it back in high school, and now its time to finally bite the bullet and fix it right. ( making some power will be nice too)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: