22RTE-Trucks
July 20, 2019, 03:50:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New members: Due to spam -- and you wouldn't believe how much there is -- new membership is not granted automatically. To become a member, please complete the registration process AND send an email to admin@22rte-trucks.com. The email can be brief, and should demonstrate you are a real person interested in these trucks and not a spammer. Your privacy is respected, and your email address will never be shared. See this threadfor more info.

New members MUST follow through with an email or their membership will not be approved.

Really: No email, no membership!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Smooth Idle Cold, Rough Idle Warm  (Read 603 times)
psychohamster
Two cylinders

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2018, 08:16:47 PM »

I just went through a 2 month fiasco to pass the California Smog Test (I'll explain it in another post).
So after all the BS I did to get it to pass I was still getting a slight stumble and idle surges when everything was up to temp.
When I'd watch the engine idle it would intermittently shake and it just didn't run as it should. I had replaced a head on a Cressida with the straight 6er 7MGE (I think that's what it's called) and the only way I could tell it was idling was to look at a fan belt. So i figured a 22r series engine should at least be able to idle smooth without looking like a paint mixer having a seizure.
I researched a bunch of different stuff on line from Google to YouTube.
I knew everything was functioning and I had no vacuum leaks that were detectable from the outside of the engine, so I figured it might be the ICV (Idle Control Valve, if that is what it's called), it's the dohickey dealybob mofo under the throttle body with water, air hoses and the blue connector going into it. So I went out this morning and initially planned to pull it out but I didn't want to deal with it so I just yanked off the front air hose and gave it a one second shot of TriFlow.
I let the engine warm up and throttled it a few times and my engine stopped stumbling. The idle sat at 800 rpm and didn't move. I also gained 2 inches of vacuum on my aftermarket dash gauge. It went from 18 to 20 and there is no needle shake.
So for now it appears to have done the trick without to much effort.
If your engine is not idling good give it a try, it only took 30 seconds to do and cost virtually nothing.
ReelDeal
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 02:33:05 PM »

Nice work Psyco! The ICV is a PITA to remove and test on the bench. I've replaced my plenum with the later style which eliminated the ICV and has better internal flow.

A straight 6 motor is always smooth since it is inherently balanced. 2 cyl TDC, 2 cyl BDC and 2 cyl, somewhere in the middle per stroke.

T
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: