22RTE-Trucks
April 24, 2018, 04:49:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New members: Due to spam -- and you wouldn't believe how much there is -- new membership is not granted automatically. To become a member, please complete the registration process AND send an email to admin@22rte-trucks.com. The email can be brief, and should demonstrate you are a real person interested in these trucks and not a spammer. Your privacy is respected, and your email address will never be shared. See this threadfor more info.

New members MUST follow through with an email or their membership will not be approved.

Really: No email, no membership!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 22RE edis for the masses possible?  (Read 5466 times)
Shanex-2
Two cylinders

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2016, 02:57:49 AM »

Well it's been awhile since I have been on this forum. One thing that I have seen from time to time is someone suggesting going edis with the 22RE and mega squirt. If you are new and don't know what edis is in short it replaces the distributor with a crank triggered ignition system that is superior in accuracy. The best way I can describe it is like this - a distributor is like measuring with a ruler. Edis is like measuring with a micrometer.  Few have done it on the 22RE . and no one makes a kit for it.

I am hoping to change that .

I have been using this last year to tool up and R&D. I have some pics of the prototype. I will post them soon.  I will also try to keep updating this thread as much as possible.

function befor style
Shanex-2
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 03:51:00 AM »

sneak peek
this pick is the early version . I used plastic for this one for easy of manufacture . The prototype is out of 6061 aluminum.

I will have more soon.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 04:04:03 AM by Shanex-2 » Logged

function befor style
Shanex-2
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 11:38:21 PM »

I got some more done this weekend . After some assembly I discovered I needed to make some adjustments though so the pics aren't the latest. However I will be doing some anodizing soon.  I am thinking a nice red will be perfect. Since its my first time anodizing I will have to test on some scrap aluminum first.
here are some more pics of my progress

« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 11:46:37 PM by Shanex-2 » Logged

function befor style
Shanex-2
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 02:49:23 AM »

Wow the last few weeks have been hot and really humid here in Florida. I have been sidetracked trying to beat the heat. Hopefully I will be back on track soon . I am looking forward to trying my hand at aluminum anodizing. YouTube has a plethora of videos on it.

function befor style
Shanex-2
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 10:50:11 PM »

Well I have done a few runs of anodizing and with good results . I have come to the conclusion that a parts tumbler would come in handy to expedite matters so I am building one with 5 gallon buckets . I will have videos up on YouTube soon showing my earlier anodizing runs and construction of the rotary parts tumbler. I will post links to the videos as soon as their done.

function befor style
Litneon
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 09:54:11 AM »

The bracket I built for my trigger wheel is using the same bolts that yours does.  It's worked great for me for almost 4 years now.  I skipped the EDIS setup and went straight to a custom wasted spark setup which is similar, but only uses one coil pack unit.
Shanex-2
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 12:32:18 AM »

Hi litneon . Glad yours is working good . When I was doing mock up on my truck those bolt holes were the only location that made sense . I didn't want to mount the trigger wheel at the end of the crank damper. I had considered using a Hall effect sensor and having the megasquirt handling the tooth counting but I wanted my setup to be compatible with megajolt as well.I am thinking of making a bracket that uses the hall sensor instead but that will be down the road.  Grin

function befor style
Shanex-2
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 04:48:21 AM »

WOW editing videos takes forever. I just finished a slide show of the parts tumbler construction. I will have the videos for the anodizing and the tumbler up soon. Until  then check this out. https://youtu.be/Thdh4Nj5uxQ
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 04:54:19 AM by Shanex-2 » Logged

function befor style
Shanex-2
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 12:14:41 AM »

well I had to re shoot some of the video for the tumbler. This video goes into what I used for the tumbler and why I used it. I am hoping to have the video up of the anodizing soon. until then check this out. enjoy https://youtu.be/dyJohdXSFo0

function befor style
Shanex-2
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 05:41:27 AM »

I figured I would post some early video of what would be the bracket mocked up and firing the plugs. It's just a cylinder block with the crank and the balancer with the trigger wheel. As I said early video. Enjoy . https://youtu.be/QBdIqo04V9c

function befor style
Shanex-2
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 02:28:36 AM »

WOW does time fly when you have half a million things going on at once . Between work and the usual chores my free time went to zero. I am Hoping to get back into the edis project beginning Jan. 2017. I finally got some time to edit my video of anodizing. although I'm not showing the conversion brackets in this video it will give you an idea of what is involved.
https://youtu.be/bg8lYlXDp8M

function befor style
Shanex-2
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 12:43:55 AM »

Well it's official I just mailed my first bracket to its new home in Canada. I wish it's new owner best of luck and hope his project goes well. It's a great way to finish off this year. Next year I start making full bracket kits.

I do have a question for anyone reading this post.
What color would you want to see the bracket anodized in?

I figured I will start with the most popular color .
 The choices are -
Black
Red
Green
Blue
Violet 3D
Or clear anodize

function befor style
Litneon
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2016, 03:52:42 PM »

Honestly, black will be the most universal color.  That or clear.
Shanex-2
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2017, 02:08:55 AM »

Thanks for the reply litneon I was surprised not getting any replies or opinions whatsoever. I know it's really slow on this forum this time of the year . But WOW.

function befor style
Litneon
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2017, 12:44:50 PM »

I'm not complaining, because there is a wealth of knowledge here, but it's always slow...  Haha!

Happy New Year!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: