22RTE-Trucks
January 16, 2019, 03:40:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New members: Due to spam -- and you wouldn't believe how much there is -- new membership is not granted automatically. To become a member, please complete the registration process AND send an email to admin@22rte-trucks.com. The email can be brief, and should demonstrate you are a real person interested in these trucks and not a spammer. Your privacy is respected, and your email address will never be shared. See this threadfor more info.

New members MUST follow through with an email or their membership will not be approved.

Really: No email, no membership!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a Banjo Bolt for the Oil Supply  (Read 3671 times)
flipthom

View Profile WWW
« on: March 24, 2016, 08:16:46 PM »

Hello all. I'm in the middle of an engine swap with my 87 4Runner RTE. I purchased a rebuilt engine from SandJ Engines and my mechanic has a majority of the engine swapped over. However, he went to thread in the banjo bolt for the oil supply line and the thread is wrong. The correct size from the original engine is M12 1.25. The new thread seems to be M12 1.5. I am currently looking for a banjo bolt for the new size. If I can't find one, the mechanic will have to pull the engine back out and do some additional work and I'd love to avoid that. Anyone know where I might be able to find one of these?

Philip Thomas // Novo Studio

87 4Runner SR5 Turbo
psychohamster
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 10:23:08 PM »

I still order these type of parts through my local dealer. Give them the factory number that the bolt goes in and they will be able to at least tell you exactly what is suppose to be there and may be able to get it for you.
Another way to make sure what size it is is to buy an M12 1.25 and 1.5 thread bolts and lightly try to thread them into the hole. If neither goes easy it might be a thread issue other then a bolt size.
It would be a bitch to have to yank the mill to drill tap and probably helicoil for a new thread.

This type of crap gives me a reputation of being overly negative (I'm told all the time).
A friend will buy a project vehicle in 50 5 gallon buckets and claim "It'll only take me a week and I'll be on the road". I'll say something like "It's gonna take you a month just to do the wiring" Then they get mad and say "You're so negative". 4 months later they are calling for me to help with wiring. My point is I can relate to your delema and I hope you can find a remedy with the least amount of BS and expense.
flipthom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 02:26:19 PM »

Thanks for the help Smiley I ended up having the original bolt reworked to fit the thread size for the new engine block. No yanking needed, and it's up and running Smiley

Philip Thomas // Novo Studio

87 4Runner SR5 Turbo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: