22RTE-Trucks
March 22, 2019, 10:39:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Hi all - Welcome back for the second time this month!

I apologize for the inconvenience of the site being offline. The site was down for technical reasons, but it didn't help that I was of offline for two weeks (camping and travel). Once I got back, it took a while to get things sorted out. That's resolved, and the site is now back up. Huzzah!

Please take a minute and read the Site News thread I've posted in the General section, and feel free to comment. Thanks!

mosk
Admin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What can I expect? KKK K26  (Read 3313 times)
dfarr67
One cylinder

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2015, 09:51:22 PM »

I've been dealt this turbo already installed but not running yet, older type Audi 5000 5 cyl Quatro I think, water cooled. I don't understand the maps for turbo's yet. Was looking for highway performance, pulling long hills, it is what it is around town. I'm stuck with the exhaust flange KKK style, log manifold, external wastegate.

1990 4runner, 4x4, 5spd (ex-auto), 8.5:1, IC, standalone with boost control, seriously thinking about meth injection- and it's seriously $$  ;(

Also pulling oil feed over by the oil sender via long braided line- is oil pressure going to a issue with the turbo seals?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 09:53:10 PM by dfarr67 » Logged
CMG
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 08:11:47 PM »

I know some about kkk in general.  It shouldn't require an oil restrictor if that is what you are asking.  You can expect a lot of lag I would think, but should hold well higher up.  You can get better internals for better response.         
dfarr67
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 08:40:43 PM »

I can get a few pics of the install and tag  here. I would be interested in learning more about these- I understand they are older but are of good quality, BW owns them now. Do you have info for internals?

What I had in mind for this application was more highway power and climbing hills- wouldn't get out of it's own way with the previous auto. Around town and on the trails the engine should have enough juice on it's own for me. Good to hear about the oil line- should be self cooling too by the time it reaches the bushings.

Dave
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 09:08:13 PM by dfarr67 » Logged
dfarr67
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 03:05:25 PM »

« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 03:09:20 PM by dfarr67 » Logged
CMG
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 03:11:44 AM »

I just did a quick search and found this link that has a map for that turbo part number. 

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/61781-kkk-turbochargers/

If that is what you have then looks like it should work fine, that housing looks deceptively big for such a small inducer. 
In 46.2mm/Out 66mm

Sounds similar to the KKK27 which I have more experience with on inline 6, real reliable and solid, and made for midrange power.  The 22rte with auto tranny is a pig off the line regardless of turbo but that one should do fine once it gets going.  Looks like it's all together is it running?

What manifold are you using BTW?
dfarr67
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 05:06:38 PM »

Thanks, I spent hours going through different sites- I didn't appreciate just how old these units are. The truck is not running it's been a tortuous journey with subpar assembly by the hired help but I hope in a few months things will change- will be sending out for a new harness and Emtron ecu install shortly. This is a 5 spd truck converted from a anemic auto which I didn't notice on the flats but it wouldn't get out of it's own way in the mountains. Today I would likely buy a different truck or 3.4L it- but the hole is too deep and I miss this truck for it's off road size.

My research indicated that the K26 basically came in two flavours a K26/6 and K26/8 the 6411 is probably the '6' without measuring and better suited for this engine, anything over 180hp is bonus. A/r inter cooler and thinking about water injection.

It's been a long time, the manifold was built in the US by a fellow who supplied the flanges but agreed to build the whole thing if gaskets were provided- more for torque/compactness rather than the tubular header style- it has 1/2in flanges so it's pretty solid and thermal coated.

Interesting about your comment on the turbo inlet size- I really don't know turbo's at all, but I did notice the small size. Any reason for this?

Little bit more here for ecu flexibilty:

http://www.22rte-trucks.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=2958.15
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: