22RTE-Trucks
June 24, 2019, 05:44:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Hi all - Welcome back for the second time this month!

I apologize for the inconvenience of the site being offline. The site was down for technical reasons, but it didn't help that I was of offline for two weeks (camping and travel). Once I got back, it took a while to get things sorted out. That's resolved, and the site is now back up. Huzzah!

Please take a minute and read the Site News thread I've posted in the General section, and feel free to comment. Thanks!

mosk
Admin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Normal Oil Pressure?  (Read 6133 times)
Litneon
Two cylinders

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2015, 09:47:40 PM »

Just wondering what you guys are seeing for oil pressure at idle and other rpms.  And what kind of gauge are you running?
buickid
One cylinder

Powered by Toyota!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 01:10:29 AM »

I know mine is a couple needle widths higher than L when the truck is hot at idle.  Running 10W-40 Mobil1.

1986 Toyota SR5 Turbo Pickup 2WD
Litneon
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 08:08:12 PM »

That helps a little, but I was kinda looking for actual numbers...  Haha.

I know that the oil pressure gauge on the cluster can be "adjusted" by bending the bimetal strip to put the needle wherever you want it's range to be.

I'm running a synthetic 5w-40, and seeing mid 50's cruising at 3000 rpms, and between 7-12psi at a 750 rpm idle speed.  I'm trying to figure out if that's normal (acceptable) for a turbo motor.
buickid
One cylinder

Powered by Toyota!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 03:45:06 AM »

Haha sorry, no real numbers Sad  If I ever put a gauge on it, I'll certainly post up. 

I have a LCE oil pump on the side for my rebuild, they anodize the housing or something to tighten up the clearances for more pressure.  You can clearly see the places that were masked before treatment, so they actually do something, it's not just a few more dollars for a reboxed pump.

Litneon
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 09:51:57 AM »

Yeah, I'm running one.  It is a nice piece of hardware, and there isn't really anything to go wrong with it except for the pressure relief valve to stick open.  That is very unlikely.
Litneon
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 11:48:11 AM »

I know the numbers are subjective, based on oil viscosity and engine build tolerances, but someone must have numbers....   No?
buickid
One cylinder

Powered by Toyota!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 08:07:42 AM »

For reference, the service manual specifies the following steps:

3. Remove oil pressure switch or sender gauge
4. Install oil pressure gauge
5. Start engine
    Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
6. Measure oil pressure
    Oil pressure:
        At idle speed    More than 0.3 kg/cm^2 (4.3 PSI, 29 kPa)
        At 3,000 RPM    2.5 - 5.0 kg/cm^2 (36 - 71 PSI, 245 - 490 kPa)
    Note: Check of oil leakage after reinstalling the oil pressure switch or sender gauge

Litneon
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 09:45:57 AM »

Thanks.   Not sure why I didn't think of that.  Sometimes I overlook easy reference sources thinking that it's a difficult answer.
Ronmar
Global Moderator
All cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 10:18:50 AM »

those always seemed like pretty low numbers, but they run a good long time like that:)

Ron

It ain't broke till I can't make parts for it...
My gallery
Litneon
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 08:57:27 PM »

Yeah, funny thing is, I'm not worried about the engine.  But I've been through a few turbo center sections and Precision told me the last one looked like inadequate oil supply.  Everything is set up to their specs, and they bought off on it.  And it still failed in less than a 24 hour period.  Drove it to work and home and on the next trip out it died.
Sounds like a poorly built turbo, but I had the same issue with two turbonetics turbos also....

I installed a sending unit for my PLX gauge, and everything checks out.  I did find after the last failure that the oil level was over a quart low, but the guys from Precision told me that it was likely due to the seals being shot from bad journals.

I would think that the oil level would have to be pretty low to see no oil pressure at all, and then the engine might be subject to failure too.
buickid
One cylinder