22RTE-Trucks
January 16, 2019, 04:19:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Hi all - Welcome back for the second time this month!

I apologize for the inconvenience of the site being offline. The site was down for technical reasons, but it didn't help that I was of offline for two weeks (camping and travel). Once I got back, it took a while to get things sorted out. That's resolved, and the site is now back up. Huzzah!

Please take a minute and read the Site News thread I've posted in the General section, and feel free to comment. Thanks!

mosk
Admin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Replacing head gasket need help.  (Read 2150 times)
almac922

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2015, 08:32:07 PM »

So I'm replacing my head gasket on a 87 4runner with a 22rte. When I got it to TDC I noticed that my timing marks and the shiny link on the chain dont line up. Is this something I should be worried about?
I'm just in the tear down stage so this is how it has been running. Any help would be appreciated!
 Not sure how to post pics from my phone but I'll try from my computer if anyone needs them.
Ronmar
Global Moderator
All cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 03:38:38 AM »

Have you rolled it over a few times checking each time you pass the TDC mark?  If it dosn't line up after two trys, I guess your valve timing was off:)  On the bright side, this is an excellent time to fix it:)  I doubt it skipped any, it was probably put together incorrectly the last time it was worked on...

Ron

It ain't broke till I can't make parts for it...
My gallery
Litneon
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 09:36:43 AM »

Yeah, you can't go by that unless you've rotated it a bunch of times and can see that it's a tooth or two off.  9 times out of 10 the chain won't line up even though everything else is correct.  Those links are more for setup the first time.  I don't even bother with them.
almac922

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 01:18:41 PM »

So after messing with it a while I decided just to change it. Here is what I learned, so there are two shiny links, every 4 times around on the camshaft you land on one. 8 times for the same one. It landed in the same spot every time which was 1 link to the left of the dimples on cam gear. When I set it right on TDC it seemed like the link was straight up but the cam was off. so I decided moved it over. After I cranked it by hand a ton more times just to listen and check valve gap. Valve gap is a little off but it was before so not really sure how much it changed didn't hear or feel anything weird while cranking it. I'm going to leave it for now unless some knows otherwise. I guess I will find out when I get it back together and try to set the timing.
dcg9381
Global Moderator
All cylinders

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 07:12:24 PM »

Jeff has a good write up on degreeing a cam, which is how you'd be able to tell over bright links:
http://www.well.com/~mosk/degreecam.htm

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: