22RTE-Trucks
October 23, 2018, 09:23:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New members: Due to spam -- and you wouldn't believe how much there is -- new membership is not granted automatically. To become a member, please complete the registration process AND send an email to admin@22rte-trucks.com. The email can be brief, and should demonstrate you are a real person interested in these trucks and not a spammer. Your privacy is respected, and your email address will never be shared. See this threadfor more info.

New members MUST follow through with an email or their membership will not be approved.

Really: No email, no membership!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trd4life87's Turbo 4runner build  (Read 5181 times)
trd4life87
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2018, 05:28:42 AM »

ReelDeal, Thanks for the compliment!!!

Its been a while since the last post with the holiday sucking up a lot of time, but I was also able to squeeze in quite a bit of work. Once I got the valance dialed in I went back to the throttle body side intercooler piping to finalize it I really didnt like the routing of it and it rode on the inner fender and ac lines. ordered up a couple more u bends and waaalaa!! got the pipe all welded up and ready for bypass valve and MAF sensor placement!!

While I was rolling around under the truck checking clearances on the intercooler piping, I realized how low my oil filter setup actually hung below the frame. I took some 12GA plate that I had left over at work and bent up and dimple died a skid plate for the oil filters to protect them from future chaos.

This is the piece prior to install.

here it is installed on the truck.

I have a tendency to bounce from project to project and decided to take some time and finish the air inlet in the bumper. I wanted something that wouldn't be noticeable to the average joe so I whipped up a bezel that sits inside the factory blinker hole and tapers out to the full 3" air inlet, I wanted max volume to enter the air filter as smooth as possible.

I toyed with the idea of taking the same mesh that I used to protect the intercooler as a screen to keep the big debris out of the air intake but did not like the idea of it looking obvious that it was not a blinker. With the old lense sitting on the bench next to the drill, it hit me why not drill a ton of holes in the factory lense!! with the stock one being cracked I figured it'd be a great test piece. Heres the result!! I think by the time its done itll have enough flow and still fool the eye! Let me know what you guys think!!

With parts trickling in I started mocking up the air filter and inlet tube. Again cant finish this one until I finish up my cowl induction hood so that I can build the box to match the shape of the hood.

Once I had the the throttle body finalized I started on the trottle cable. the stock one looked out of place on the sleek new intake and the cable end was the wrong style to attach to the mustang throttle body. I snagged a universal lokar throttle cable and started fabbin away!!

Started by calculating the swing arc length of the throttle blade from closed to WOT in order to come up the length it needed to be from the center of the blade to the pivot point, after that I moved to mounting the cable end on the intake manifold. I didn't want to use the bulky stock bracket so I fabbed up a sleeker on out of some 12GA that was laying around.

I finalized the cable by building a plate to fill the stock hole and mount the pedal end of the cable. What isn't pictured is the delrin washer that I built that retains the bead on the pedal similar to how the stock cable was ran.

The last two goodies to the puzzle that showed up recently is my megasquirt MS3 pro unit and the turbo smart blow off valve!!

Tomorrow I will be working on my hood so hopefully I can upload some pictures tomorrow of the progress I have so far with it!!
trd4life87
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2018, 04:36:33 PM »

Been slowly working on the hood for the few months, its been slow going but haven't had to redo anything yet!! haha! I started with a second hood that I picked up locally and stripped the ten layers of paint that it had on it. Once all the paint was off  I began by splitting the seam that holds the skin to the inner structure. The thought was is that I could modify the skin first and keep the inner structure in place in order to maintain the shape of the hood. With the skin detached from the inner structure I made a template of the center raised portion of the hood. once I had the template I transferred it to 20Ga sheet metal and cut the skin to the rough size. Starting with the english wheel I rolled some crown into the metal and then bent the forward edge of it to match the profile of the front of the hood. once the basic shape was established I moved on to forming the sides of the hood that will transfer down into the stock hood using a pullmax metal forming power hammer at work.
Heres what Ive got so far!!
 ]

the cowl portion is approximately 1" taller than the stock bulge on the hood!

trd4life87
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2018, 04:15:45 PM »

been slowly pecking away at the hood. I've been limited to Fridays at work since I don't have shop key and working 4-10's gives me friday off. Last friday I was able to shape the pass side of the hood transition and the front edge of the hood and get it fitting pretty decent. Drug all of it home and slapped it on the truck and stood back to see what it'll look like. Heres what I have as of today, Let me know what you guys think!!!

ReelDeal
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2018, 03:40:14 AM »

Amazing  work! Guys like you make me crazy!
T
trd4life87
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2018, 08:17:35 PM »

Thanks ReelDeal !!!

Been slow going but little progress is better than no progress. So far about half the cowl induction portion of the hood is ironed out got the pass. side done and need to get the driver side finished before grafting into the skin.

heres a shot of the front corner and how it all transitions into the stock skin

After building the intercooler tubing up to the intake and with the much larger throttle body than what it had originally I had an issue with the upper radiator hose running into the intercooler piping so the next best solution was to fab up a new upper stainless hose!!

Got it to where it clears the intake with a good 1/4" to spare!!!

That's all Ive got for now!!

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: