22RTE-Trucks
March 24, 2019, 07:31:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Hi all - Welcome back for the second time this month!

I apologize for the inconvenience of the site being offline. The site was down for technical reasons, but it didn't help that I was of offline for two weeks (camping and travel). Once I got back, it took a while to get things sorted out. That's resolved, and the site is now back up. Huzzah!

Please take a minute and read the Site News thread I've posted in the General section, and feel free to comment. Thanks!

mosk
Admin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Trd4life87's Turbo 4runner build  (Read 6072 times)
trd4life87
One cylinder

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2015, 04:25:21 PM »

I've been a long time lurker on here trying to learn as much as possible for jumping in the deep end of my 4runner build. heres some back ground on the rig for you all. I bought this 87 runner about 4 years ago knowing that it needed a head gasket. the original intentions was to fix the head gasket and enjoy the new found power compared to the NA truck that I have. The engine was removed part by part from the engine point and the deeper I dug the worse the engine got. two of the valves were burnt out bad and both the turbo and manifold were cracked. At that point I decided to do a mild build and put a slightly bigger turbo on and head studs and a header. once the engine was out of the truck completely it was noticed that the block was split down the front. At this point it came to the screw it point and a full on build insued. ARP head studs and main studs were purchased a new block was bought, and then school got in the way to the point that the truck has sat on the back burner for the last 4 years. This June I will be graduating and the build will return to full swing and hopefully get this thing back on the road!! I'll let the pictures do the talking now Smiley

The day I brought it home! way cleaner than the pickup.

the whole reason I bought this thing it was super stock but not for long  Wink

Two burnt valves that I encountered

The sharpie out lines the crack the straw that broke my back and bank account haha! This is the point where I jumped into the deep end and started doing crazy things like this...

The intake is ball milled to look just like the factory emblem on the intake that was falling off. School was good for somethin' haha!

This was about the wildest hair i got Im still not sure why i did this but itll look good!

mock up of the turbo which is a Turbonetics T3 if I remember correctly is a .63/.69?? id have to look at the paper work again but I worked with the guys at my local turbo shop to pick out the proper turbo that would be ideal for my 4 squirrels of fury!!
This is what ive got photo wise for now, Ill have to dig through my camera some more and find my other pictures.
The future plans are to finish purchasing the engine internals such as pistons, gasket set bearings and injectors.
Was thinking of a 440CC injector and some 8.5:1 pistons possibly the nippon pistons that I see floating on ebay but Im gonna do some more research.
Any comments are suggestions are always welcome! This is the first turbo engine that Im building so its quite the learning experience.

spideynut
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 06:07:57 AM »

Wow cool rigs!! Looks like your on your way. Keep it up!! Progress and pics Grin
trd4life87
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 04:24:56 PM »

digging through my photos I found a few more pictures of where I'm at today, I didn't want to spend the large chunk of coin on the steed manifold although its a nice piece I wanted something unique and I could say I built.
This is mid build of the turbo header, it started with a flange Kit from LC Engineering and a pile of stainless U bends.

Here is the final product with the precision external wastegate and turbo mounted with the down pipe and wastegate dump tube.

With the top mount turbo I knew heat was going to be an issue, The 4Runner that I have has the rear heat and being from Washington, I wasn't about to get rid of it. The stock water lines run down the firewall right next to where I had the turbo and down pipe running. I ended up coming up with some creative solutions to route the lines behind the brake booster and away from the heat.
I used the T that was used in the cooling line to route over the brake booster and around.

The bend that typically mounts on the inner fender was added to the end of the heater valve to push the hose further away from the turbo.

spideynut
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 05:40:15 AM »

Moving on nicely.
trd4life87
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 03:47:30 PM »

So my question to you all is with the placement of the wastegate. When I added it to the header the paperwork that came with it said to keep it less than 90 degrees from the direction of flow, Ive had a few individuals point out that its not going to work properly due to running off on number cylinder one. I could not find anything in the paper work regaurding this other than to not have the wastegate 90 degrees to the flow of air. When I search online every manifold picture I see has a wastegate 90 degrees to the flow of air which has me really confused. any input would be appreciated guys thanks!
Litneon
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 08:54:39 PM »

Yeah, I don't think direction of flow is going to be an issue, but coming off the cylinder like that will cause some issues.  First, you'll have exhaust reverse flow half way down the tube, because there will be exhaust volume from the other three cylinders that needs dumped.  Secondly, you could run into some weird air fuel mixtures in that cylinder due to scavenging or lack there of...

I'd take that back up to the collector.
trd4life87
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 04:42:10 AM »

Thanks spideynut for the confidence boosts!! I've posted on other sites with little remarks. Thank Litneon!! I have to move it back up there in the next few weeks!!
Litneon
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 09:54:47 AM »

Maybe you already stated it, but what turbo is that?     Aside from Turbonetics....
77CelicaRTE

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 11:22:09 AM »

This is a cool build, I'm defiantly going to copy that valve cover treatment.
trd4life87
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 11:59:24 PM »

Litneon, its a T3 turbo with a 50 trim compressor side and I believe a .63 A/R exhaust housing. I was originally going to go T3/T4 but after talking to some turbo people this is the one that they suggested. What size injectors are you running in your truck? Ive looked through your build before but can't remember what size they were. Your build has inspired me to keep on track with my goal of 15lb of boost in a daily!!
77celicaRTE, Thanks! the valve cover has way too much time involved into it I hope I can keep it as clean looking as it is now haha!
trd4life87
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 03:26:46 AM »

Haven't posted in a while but over the last two years Ive finally gathered the majority of the engine internals from LC that I think I need to be able to hit 275ish hp. I ordered forged pistons, h-beam connecting rods, full gasket set with a MLS head gasket, stage III turbo cam, oversized stainless valves, dual springs, dual row timing chain conversion with an adjustable cam gear and a few other goodies. I got the block back from the machine shop and even went to the extent of deburring the inside of the block for better oil drainage to the pan.

now my question for those of you in the know, Ive decided to go the megasquirt route rather than other aftermarket solutions. I work at a hot rod fabrication shop and talked with my electrical guru at work and he advised that if im going the route of a fully programmable ecu I should run sequential fuel injection. I have no problem gutting the distributor to install a cam sensor and installing the crank trigger. My curiosity is weather or not I should go with the ms3pro or if the pnp gen 2 will work for what I need. I kind of wanted to keep the bones of the stock wiring harness so that I can run the stock cluster but have no problem unwrapping the stock harness and adding circuits to it. I like the price of the pnp gen2 I just wanna make sure it will handle the sequential injection, and a coil on plug setup. any feed back would be appreciated guys! thanks!

Heres a teaser shot of the deburred!

Ronmar
Global Moderator
All cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2017, 05:01:39 PM »

The pnp has some extra ports that should be able to support sequential in a 4 cylinder, you might need to goto a wasted spark COP config(I forget how many ports/channels are available total on the pnp). The folks at MS should be able to confirm that with a call or e-mail.  You of course would have to run extra wires to fire injectors individually and to drive the coil packs for COP

Ron

It ain't broke till I can't make parts for it...
My gallery
trd4life87
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2017, 05:02:20 PM »

After having it sit from june til now Ive been staring at the sad rig sitting outside the shop and debating on how soon I was actually going to get this thing going again. Sitting at the kitchen table back in November, my old man asked me what it was going to take to actually finish it, with my response of shop space and time he said whats the hold up get it in the shop and quit screwing around. This is a rarity so I jumped on the opportunity to roll it in the shop and finally start making head way the picture show the current progression from the tail end of august til now.

First order of business was to assemble the R151 and transfer case back together to get it mocked up in the truck to see where I needed to cut the floor for the shifters

once I got the trans and front driveshaft in I switched my attention to installing the remote dual oil filter setup along the frame rail. The idea was double the filtration and half the mess of the stock location.

Next on the list was to mount the intercooler and start the associated plumbing I wanted the intercooler to get as much air flow as possible and not really block the radiator any more than it already is. The intercooler was placed flush with the bottom of the frame and the tray that it sits in is a bent and dimple died piece of 14ga sheet metal should be plenty stout and hold the intercooler in position.

trd4life87
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2017, 08:20:47 PM »

With the intercooler mounted, I needed a way to protect the core from debris and to hide the body of it to go with the "sleeper" theme that I have going on with the rig. Started off with a stock valance and cut out the centersection just large enough for the intercooler to sneak through. I had a second valance laying around from when I built the bumper for my black truck eons ago so it was sacrificed to cover the intercooler plumbing both outer corners of a stock valance were reshaped and welded to the center of the valance to cover the plumbing. once the plumbing was covered, the center section where the intercooler is located needed to be shaped. Started out with some 20ga sheet metal and this is the final product.

the upper mounts for the intercooler are a simple L bracket that captures the top and keeps it solid front to back the tray does the job of holding it in place side to side

forgot to post earlier but also ordered up and threw in some bomb proof engine and tranny mounts

while I had the front bumper off I started building the air inlet tubing. Plan is to replace the driverside blinker located in the bumper with a custom aluminum funnel and force the air up to the inner fender where a future air box will reside. I machined out a 1/4" thick aluminum ring with mounting holes to sandwich the plates to the inner fender and mount the inlet tube to the inner fender. Also cut out a piece of stainless mesh to prevent big chunks of debris from entering the air box. half finished project but some progress is better than no progress!

Now that I decided to run a fully programmable ecu, I decided it was a good Idea to update the intake for better airflow. After doing some research and much debate I settled on a 65mm mustang throttle body from accufab. In my excitement of ordering I failed to realize that the "race" version that they offer has a 4" bell on it. oh well gonna make it work!

With such a moster flange on throttle body, I needed to build an adapter to mount it to the intake. My original thought was to build a wedge shaped adapter to essentially bolt it onto the factory intake. with much design and debate the best option was to cut the end of the intake off and weld on a new piece. I cringed at first but I figured its all in the name of horsepower gain!

Since Im running the stock fuel rail I mocked up the entire intake with plywood spacers inbetween the throttle body and the manifold to make sure the throttle body and IAC adapter cleared the rail and there werent any obstructions

hard to tell from this pic but the rail clears by a good 1/8" to the IAC adapter

with the end cut off I figured I could then build a tapered adapter to mate the new throttle body to the intake. Im privileged enough at work to be the cnc operator, so on my day off I whipped up a adapter to match the shape of the intake where I cut it and the throttle body. While I hat the intake wide open, I ground out the egr ports that were in the way of air flow and plugged the rear port and freeze plug that was in the side of the intake. I didnt realize how plugged up my egr ports were until I started grinding them away!!
This is after digging at it a little bit it was solid crud at the end of the port.

I did not get any pictures of the flange before I welded it onto the intake but here is a shot with them finally welded together

with the throttle body on the intake the plumbing from the intercooler was mocked up into place. with the length of the adapter, throttlebody, silicone reducer and the the tubing itself I found out my upper radiator hose are fighting for space. looks like I'll be building an upper radiator hose out of stainless steel tubing with rubber connections next!

This is what Ive got for now up to this date. making steady progress so hopefully more updates to come soon!!
ReelDeal
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2017, 08:48:05 AM »

beautiful work! Keep it up! Intercoolers are tough to get right, especially with A/C. Probably why I don't have one.  Smiley

T
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: