22RTE-Trucks
June 24, 2019, 06:12:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New members: Due to spam -- and you wouldn't believe how much there is -- new membership is not granted automatically. To become a member, please complete the registration process AND send an email to admin@22rte-trucks.com. The email can be brief, and should demonstrate you are a real person interested in these trucks and not a spammer. Your privacy is respected, and your email address will never be shared. See this threadfor more info.

New members MUST follow through with an email or their membership will not be approved.

Really: No email, no membership!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Need more top end  (Read 13865 times)
kauaiboy
One cylinder

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2014, 01:28:59 PM »

Hi guys I need some help. I got a 94 pickup 2wd with a stock bottom end
-lce stage 3 head w/ street turbo cam
-sds standalone
-8" v6 rearend w/411
-lce 6 puck clutch and 9lbs flywheel
-gt25 turbo
-2.5" piping with magna flow
-FMIC
I testing & tuning with a vbox and was running mid 16's but that was with bald tires. The bottom end feels strong but the top end itsnt wat I was expecting. I'm running 9lbs of boost. Any ideas to get more speed??? I was hoping to be in the low 15's hopefully
Litneon
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 11:19:26 PM »

Hmm.  Your choice in components seem well planned out with the exception of the 2.5" exhaust.  2.5" is a bit on the small side for upper end power and in conjunction with the muffler, might be your biggest hold up.

2.5" actually sounds pretty good with a perforated core resonator and nothing else.   This will minimize restrictions in the exhaust system and allow the turbo to spool faster and hold boost higher in the revs.

Is it boost creeping at all?
spideynut
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 01:20:18 AM »

Are you testing at Mana?  My friends with identical civics shaved 1.5sec off with street slicks. One ran reg tires and the other the slicks then they swapped tires and both went from high 16s to mid 15s. Might think about it?  Other than that gear up to 4:56 or 5:12.

For the exhaust magnaflow is pretty much a free flow muffler. You could try poping that sucker off when you get to the track. Not sure if that's the kinda gains your after. Don't see the muffler holding you back too much...
kauaiboy
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 02:35:47 AM »

Hmm.  Your choice in components seem well planned out with the exception of the 2.5" exhaust.  2.5" is a bit on the small side for upper end power and in conjunction with the muffler, might be your biggest hold up.

2.5" actually sounds pretty good with a perforated core resonator and nothing else.   This will minimize restrictions in the exhaust system and allow the turbo to spool faster and hold boost higher in the revs.

Is it boost creeping at all?
The muffler is a straight true one so its all free flow. As for boost creeping I don't think so. I have a turbosmart eboost controller but it read a lbs off then what it really is.
kauaiboy
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 02:42:02 AM »

Are you testing at Mana?  My friends with identical civics shaved 1.5sec off with street slicks. One ran reg tires and the other the slicks then they swapped tires and both went from high 16s to mid 15s. Might think about it?  Other than that gear up to 4:56 or 5:12.

For the exhaust magnaflow is pretty much a free flow muffler. You could try poping that sucker off when you get to the track. Not sure if that's the kinda gains your after. Don't see the muffler holding you back too much...

Yah at mana illegal track haha bridge to bridge action. Nah but I been wanting to run my truck at the track but I didn't get my tires and I'm planing on buying drag radials so I don't have to run extended studs. I'm running jeep rubicon rims and I have to use adapters so it would be a big hassle swapping it out every time. I can get a hold on some 437 maybe try that and Im planning on picking up a Detroit truetrac. I hope it helps drop my time. Thanks
kauaiboy
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 03:11:16 AM »

oh and its a 22re stock bottom end so its dont have a low compression turbo piston....yet.
i wana get the lce h-beam rods with there hyper turbo piston
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 03:29:48 AM by kauaiboy » Logged
spideynut
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 05:17:19 AM »

Are you getting any pinging? If not I wouldnt worry about compression right now.  I really think the drag radials will get you where you want to be.  If the gearing is free I would do it also. Mana test and tune would be the real test. Get drags this weekend!! hint hint!!
Litneon
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 10:00:55 AM »

Just out of curiosity, exactly which MagnaFlow are you running?  And Boost creep?  Up creep?  Down creep?  Are you datalogging?
kauaiboy
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 10:17:22 AM »

Are you getting any pinging? If not I wouldnt worry about compression right now.  I really think the drag radials will get you where you want to be.  If the gearing is free I would do it also. Mana test and tune would be the real test. Get drags this weekend!! hint hint!!

At that amount of boost and the tune set for now no pinging. Yah I think the drag radials will get it and even the lockers would be nice or maybe find another 3rd member and weld um. I no get drags but I get drill.
kauaiboy
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 10:27:16 AM »

Just out of curiosity, exactly which MagnaFlow are you running?  And Boost creep?  Up creep?  Down creep?  Are you datalogging?

Not to sure which one it is but I know it's a straight tru free flow. No boost creep and as for data logging the sds can't hook up to a computer so I pretty much have to have a passenger help me tune it cause he needs to watch the reading. I have to do 3rd gear pulls cause all I have to go off of is a little box that tells you what's goin on. Like vaccum, rpm, timing, knock and temp so it's hard if I try to drive and watch to see if it's knocking or what. That's the only junk thing about the sds standalone. I Can't see a graph of the afm readings, I have to remember at what rpm it was to lean or to rich while driving
Litneon
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 09:55:54 AM »

At what rpm does it feel like power drops off?
kauaiboy
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 04:33:29 PM »

At what rpm does it feel like power drops off?

about 5500 to 5750
I tried holding till 6500 but no power, I just wanted to see if it would go that far. I think my turbo tops out at 5k
Litneon
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 11:08:53 PM »

If boost is holding, you aren't running out of turbo.    Without datalogs, it's really difficult to pinpoint the exact culprit.
kauaiboy
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 01:43:10 AM »

If boost is holding, you aren't running out of turbo.    Without datalogs, it's really difficult to pinpoint the exact culprit.

Yah I know what you mean but it's just the sds it can't datalog on a computer like some of the other standalones. I think I should call the company to see if they made somthing for that
Dirty Dude
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2014, 05:57:26 PM »

SDS offers datalogging now that is viewed with the programmer, but I can't tell if it is built into the ECU, the programmer, or if hardware changes were made to both.

Are you using a wideband controller that can communicate with a computer? That would at least allow you to see what the AFR is doing when it noses over.

Is your cam the 1022027? Are you using stock springs?

I don't think your exhaust is a restriction at 15-second power levels.

In the mean time, just shift sooner.  Wink

1972 Pinto 2.3T/MS-II v3.0.
2000 Frontier
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: