22RTE-Trucks
January 16, 2019, 04:47:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New members: Due to spam -- and you wouldn't believe how much there is -- new membership is not granted automatically. To become a member, please complete the registration process AND send an email to admin@22rte-trucks.com. The email can be brief, and should demonstrate you are a real person interested in these trucks and not a spammer. Your privacy is respected, and your email address will never be shared. See this threadfor more info.

New members MUST follow through with an email or their membership will not be approved.

Really: No email, no membership!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Engine swap?  (Read 6032 times)
Alohayota
Two cylinders

dat ass tho. Lol

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2014, 03:21:55 PM »

Don't get me wrong, i love The 22r Series. I have owned only two, one 22RE and my current 22RE-T. I have just rebuilt my 87 pickup, all body work and yata yata (pics are in the gallery). But recently found a hairline crack in my block, hidden behind  the pulleys. It merely leaks oil, but still hits me pretty hard.

I could never get rid of my truck, it has been way to much of a learning experience for me. I have put way to much into it. So has anyone considered doing an engine swap with these trucks? Weather it be something big and ridiculous like a 5.9 cummins, 2jz or something like another 4 banger. I know this is a 22R site, but I feel you guys could give me some good input. What should I do? haha
WesternSouthern
Two cylinders

Room Temperature Vulcanizer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 04:37:20 PM »

If I were you, I would grab a 3RZ from a tacoma or 4runner and never look back.

1986 4runner Turbo
1986 4x4 Pickup 22R
and now...
1987 4runner SR5 22RE
Ronmar
Global Moderator
All cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 06:12:19 PM »

Yep, the second gen 4runners are basically the same frame planform as the 2nd gen 4X4 trucks since they came with both the 22Re engine and 3VZ V6 engines. 

I am working on a 4Runner that got wrecked in my driveway(don't ask).  I took the V6 drivetrain out of it and put it into another 4runner chassis I got for cheap when the other one got damaged, so we could have a 4 runner.  I am now putting a 22RE drivetrain back into the wrecked 4runner from a pickup I am scrapping.  I  will remove the rear damage from the 4runner and convert it into a 4 door stubby bed pickup...

Ron

It ain't broke till I can't make parts for it...
My gallery
Alohayota
Two cylinders

dat ass tho. Lol

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 09:11:31 PM »

Ill look into it Western. Ron it sounds like you have your hands full! I think it would be awesome to put a 2JZ vvti in it a twin turbo the thing. Lol but that's probably out of the question. The only big reason I don't want to have to swap motors is that I don't know what I would do with my Megasquirt ECU! I'm thinking about welding my block and buying a LCE head and arp studs. Ideas/concerns about that plan?
Ronmar
Global Moderator
All cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 09:18:59 PM »

Well the Megasquirt would work with just about anything...  Welding shouldn't be an issue if done well and machined smooth.  Kinda makes you wonder why it cracked in the first place though dosn't it?  Not often you see cracks on these blocks without some extenuating circumstances such as frozen, severely overheated or wrecked...

Ron

It ain't broke till I can't make parts for it...
My gallery
Alohayota
Two cylinders

dat ass tho. Lol

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 11:41:44 PM »

Oh yea it made me wonder to say the least. I racked my head over it for days, Especially about where it is and how minute it is. I will post pictures when I get home around the 24th. I rebuilt the engine in school, the only thing I can think of is that my asshole of a teacher and somewhat friend Mat looped the hoist wire around a spot above it. I hooked up the two rear hoist points but was busy welding when they actually pulled it out. I honestly don't know. Sure does suck though.

I figured my ECU should run any engine, with a certain ignition type I guess. Its a Megasquirt PnP 2. I just made sure it would work with the 4age ignition and the 22r when I bought it, have to read up on it now.

79spitfire
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 12:23:42 AM »

3RZ would be a good choice for a 4 cyl. I've never seen one turbocharged, but in it's stock form it's nearly bulletproof. If you go to a V6, I would steer clear of the 3vz, I'm not a fan of that engine. I thought for it's size the power output should have been better (SOHC version). The Twin cam version runs better (it was in front wheel drive Camry and Es300....), and had adequate power, but just lacked..... gusto. The head gaskets are prone to failing as well. (the trucks and 4-runners were under an extended warranty for it, long since expired...)

If you wanted to go a bit more a 5VZ-FE, 3.4L v6 was truly a stellar performer. It had torque output up in the small V8 class. It too suffered initially from a bad head gasket design, but it wasn't a problem with the engine design, just faulty gaskets. Those engines in T100 pickups (esp 5-speed) were a thrill to drive.

I strive to be the person my cat thinks I am...
dcg9381
Global Moderator
All cylinders

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 08:55:06 PM »

FYI - there are quite a few 2RZ and 3RZ turbos out there.  They appear to take well to boost in stock form and put down good power.

The problem (at least for me) is that the 2rz and 3rz are becoming harder to find.  Even JDM.

Advantages: with a $100 bell housing, they'll work with your existing drive line.  Other than that, they require a different oil pan (about $260) and motor mounts to drop in.

Pretty well documented if you want to keep their stock EFI...

3.4L Toyota and 4.3L Chevy are also good choices that can work with your transmission.

kauaiboy
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 07:02:49 AM »

FYI - there are quite a few 2RZ and 3RZ turbos out there.  They appear to take well to boost in stock form and put down good power.

The problem (at least for me) is that the 2rz and 3rz are becoming harder to find.  Even JDM.

Advantages: with a $100 bell housing, they'll work with your existing drive line.  Other than that, they require a different oil pan (about $260) and motor mounts to drop in.

Pretty well documented if you want to keep their stock EFI...

3.4L Toyota and 4.3L Chevy are also good choices that can work with your transmission.

The $100 bell housing is that only for certain trucks? Will it work on a 2wd?
I think if I can get my hand on a 2rz I would get one and do the swap
dcg9381
Global Moderator
All cylinders

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 02:47:21 PM »

The $100 bell housing is that only for certain trucks? Will it work on a 2wd?
I think if I can get my hand on a 2rz I would get one and do the swap

I paid $100 for one off of pirate.  I ended up buying an engine (2rz) with transmission.   Bell housings don't typically break, so it was easy to sell off the 2rz transmission (W59) and keep the bell housing.  So I ended up with 2... Sold one.

I'm sure it will work on a 2wd.  2wd/4wd, it bolts to the 22RE/22RTE.

Again, there are tons of swaps out there.  The Toyota 4L V8 ( 1UZ) is cheap, but requires a bit more fab last time I looked into it...

If I had a 2wd truck and wanted to go fast, I'd LS-series it with a T-56.  It's probably the most common swap motor used for any vehicle.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: