22RTE-Trucks
June 17, 2019, 11:37:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Hi all - Welcome back for the second time this month!

I apologize for the inconvenience of the site being offline. The site was down for technical reasons, but it didn't help that I was of offline for two weeks (camping and travel). Once I got back, it took a while to get things sorted out. That's resolved, and the site is now back up. Huzzah!

Please take a minute and read the Site News thread I've posted in the General section, and feel free to comment. Thanks!

mosk
Admin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Gasket on Turbo Engineering Kit  (Read 4517 times)
TurboDog87
One cylinder

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2013, 09:21:50 PM »

OK I really need help here. I finally got the upgraded TB20 kit from Jason at Turbo Engineering. I keep thinking a gasket should go between the housing where the down pipe attaches. I have attached a pic showing the area of concern. Jason from TB Engr says no gasket required but I'm not quite sure as this might produce an exhaust leak. Please moderators comment.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
TurboDog87
One cylinder

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 10:03:52 PM »

Just to add more info in reference to the pic. Jason of TB Engr mentioned that these two surfaces would bolt together metal to metal. I just no getting a good feeling on that.

1project2many
Global Moderator
Two cylinders

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 06:13:12 PM »

If both surfaces are flat, the two pieces are rigid (such as cast iron or steel), and they are made of the same material, a gasket is not always needed.  I have worked on several different vehicles that do not have a gasket in the location in question.
TurboDog87
One cylinder

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 06:49:52 PM »

Wow, wouldn't excessive pressure cause these surfaces to crack or give an annoying exhaust leak?

spideynut
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 09:56:39 AM »

So long as your both on the same page. I think the phrase " Jason from TB Engr says " sums it up Wink
URwhatUeat
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 05:47:35 PM »

Yeah I'd say try it and if it develops a leak go from there. There are places that offer custom gaskets, you could get crafty and make your own, or order the right one.

To the Moon!!!
URwhatUeat
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 05:49:50 PM »

Yeah I'd say try it and if it develops a leak go from there. There are places that offer custom gaskets, you could get crafty and make your own, or order the right one.

Does look from the pic that there was  a gasket previously.

To the Moon!!!
TurboDog87
One cylinder

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 04:57:16 AM »

From what I gather it must be OK for a metal to metal contact? I used the pics on the LC engineering similar kit for comparison. It appears a gasket maybe included.

TurboDog87
One cylinder

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 05:03:06 AM »

I should also say I haven't fired it up yet. I'm still in the install phase. I have a rebuilt RTE long block going in and the turbo kit going in next. Just checking fitment
 I

TurboDog87
One cylinder

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 05:05:00 AM »

OK or not OK?

woolaroo

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 06:57:22 AM »

Connections are always the first place to fail.  What would it hurt to throw in a gasket?
TBone
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 01:50:39 PM »

Isn't that a normal 5-bolt T3 wastegate gasket?  They are just a few dollars.  I would install one; not worth the trouble of having to tear it out again to fix an exhaust leak.
TurboDog87
One cylinder

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 09:17:34 PM »

I'll think I'll throw a gasket in. Where is a good place to pick one up?

TBone
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 07:55:26 PM »

The gaskets are all over ebay, but it's safer to match one up at an auto parts store.  They can probably "get one from the warehouse."

swerks
Two cylinders

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 11:10:41 PM »

so I did not use a gasket and after 8 yrs I now have a exhaust leak. what will a exhaust leak at this position do to performance ?? I have the exact setup as pictured.

86 Turbo 4Runner
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: