22RTE-Trucks
March 24, 2019, 07:19:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New members: Due to spam -- and you wouldn't believe how much there is -- new membership is not granted automatically. To become a member, please complete the registration process AND send an email to admin@22rte-trucks.com. The email can be brief, and should demonstrate you are a real person interested in these trucks and not a spammer. Your privacy is respected, and your email address will never be shared. See this threadfor more info.

New members MUST follow through with an email or their membership will not be approved.

Really: No email, no membership!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Ongoing topic: Megasquirt configuration and tuning questions  (Read 57897 times)
dcg9381
Global Moderator
All cylinders

View Profile WWW
« on: February 04, 2008, 04:20:14 PM »

Guys, I'm creating this topic as a redirect for the personal mail I get answering MS tuning and configuration questions.  I'm going to refer tuning/config emails to this topic and I'll do my best to respond to them quickly.  This way everyone gets the benefit of the Q/A on common MS questions...  Helps keep me from repeating myself.

It'll also provide a topic for people other than me to answer questions about MS.

Anyone else that has input, instructions, or can provide answers to questions is more than welcome to post here.  Screenshots and How-to's are appreciated....
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 03:47:22 AM by dcg9381 » Logged

dcg9381
Global Moderator
All cylinders

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 05:36:20 PM »

RE: "John DeWitt" <gonads_n_strife28@hotmail.com>
Darin,
   I was able to get my truck idling last night, but it is running extremely rich........lots of black smoke. I was wondering if you could send me screen shots of all your settings in Megatune under tools-->review mode? That would be a great help.

If you're using my MSQ (which is the megasquirt configuration file), a few things that could cause you to run rich:

1) Make sure that your temperature sensor (engine temperature) is registering correctly in megatune.  If megasquirt thinks your engine is cold, it adds fuel.  Lots of fuel.  Your engine temperature should be right around ambient air temperature at start up.   If you're using the factory toyota engine temperature sensor, you have to update the firmware of megasquirt to calibrate it for use with the sensor.  You use EZTherm to do this - it generates an *.s19 file (megasquirt firmware) when you upload into the megasquirt itself.  It also generates an .inc file which must be placed into the correct directory of megatune.  See me if you need the calibration values, I take them from the factory service manual.

2) If you're running larger injectors than stock, my MSQ will be off.  You need to reset your base fuel (req_fuel) - megatune can calculate this for you.

3) My head flows more air than stock, I've got a 60mm TB, and I have a custom cam - settings probably will need to be tweeked... Don't expect it to plug in and run great unless you've got a duplicate of my motor.

4) If you've got spark and the truck will start, but spits rich (black smoke) - slowly decrease the value of req_fuel until it idles correctly.  Adjust it one step at a time, IE from 10 -> 9 -> 8 -> 7.   Once it's close, you fine tune using the fuel map (VE map).

dcg9381
Global Moderator
All cylinders

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 01:26:26 AM »

Topless @ Celia GTS: finally have car to runnin stage. smokes heavily(black smoke) and bogs down when using the factory turbo ecu. plugged in ms: first light flashed while crankin, second light came on, car will not stay runnin after crankin has stopped. also, will not connnect to laptop. any suggestions? I put the 440 inj from the supra inplace of the  195 inj . oh yeah, how's things goin for you

Congrats on getting there, topless... it sounds like you'er at the same stage as John above.
Same sort of questions:
Did you use EZTherm to setup your coolant temperature sender?   If not, I'm afraid MS will think that it's very cold out.  You need to copy over the include file also.

Generic questions:
1) What's your req_fuel
2) How did you setup your VE  (fuel) map?
3) If MS won't connect to your laptop, that's going to be your first order of business.  MS must be powered (ignition on) and then try adjusting your com port in megatune until you get a connection. 

I can help you get it running once you can connect to the laptop.  Until you can do that, it's impossible for me to debug.

Me
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 07:55:08 AM »

So do u mind if we ask u questions directly in this thread ?
dcg9381
Global Moderator
All cylinders

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 03:07:01 PM »

Absolutely - that's the point of the thread.... I'm asking the guys that are on this forum to post questions here rather than email me.  It'll encourage me to be a little more complete with my answers.

dcg9381
Global Moderator
All cylinders

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 09:38:48 PM »

RE: "John DeWitt" <gonads_n_strife28@hotmail.com>
Darin,
   I got my truck started earlier and datalog it while idling. I am running the same injectors, and throttle body as you. I have a stage 2 head from LC engineering with a turbo cam....I hope that helps. Can you take a look at the attached datalog and tell me what you think. Looks to me like it is running lean now.

File:
www.geocities.com/cb1000rider/datalog200802061210.xls

Ok, John, here's what I see:

1) Modify your exhaust gas correction (02 closed loop) - it's engaging at idle.  You don't want to engage it at idle because the the 02 sensor will cause the truck to "hunt" an air fuel ratio during idle.    You need to make the EGO correction come on above say 1700 RPM and I'd say above a MAP setting of 30 KPA.

2) You don't have any warm up enrichment.  That's OK for now.

3) Your 02 sensor either isn't pre-heated, is not properly configured, or isn't functioning.  It's reading off the scale lean.  It's so lean (21 AFR) that the truck shouldn't idle, so I suspect a malfunction.

4) I see no variations on TPS (throttle position) - you need to calibrate / configure your TPS in megatune.  The process involves marking the initial throttle position, pushing it to the floor, marking the final throttle position.  It's under Tools-> Calibrate TPS

5) Your spark advance is wrong.  It's indicating 21 deg BTDC.  This is too much timing for idle.  It can impact your air fuel ratio.  Fix your timing at 12 BTDC until you get a nice idle out of the truck.

Give me your MSQ next time.  I need both the log and the MSQ.

The program I'm using to look at your log files can be found here:
http://www.ideasandsolutions.biz/MegaLogViewer/download/MegaLogViewer-Setup_v2.89.msi

Instructions on how to use it to tune can be found here:
http://www.ideasandsolutions.biz/MegaLogViewer/veAnalysis.html

« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 10:27:42 PM by dcg9381 » Logged

gonads_n_strife
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 10:40:48 PM »

Darin,

do you know if the megalog viewer downloads upon purchase? I tried to purchase it a couple days ago with no luck. I also noticed that it looked there are some free versions of it.
dcg9381
Global Moderator
All cylinders

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 10:57:42 PM »

If you use the MSI link above, it should download and install for you.  It will "nag" you for registration - this is a recent "feature".    It's fully functional however.

If you've paid for it, you should have been sent a registration code via email. 

If not, I'd contract the software developer directly and give him the details of your purchase.

Did my tuning comments make sense?

gonads_n_strife
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 11:13:14 PM »

Yeah, everything made sense except for the timing. I am still going with the MSII config. I tried your msq and it came up with 681 errors. When you say 12 BTDC do you mean with a timing light? I am going over my LC-1 manual right now to make sure everything is correct. I used the analog out one to an AFR gauge and it responds to the warming up of the sensor. The red LED that comes with it also shows normal operation. Is there a way to attach files on these posts?
dcg9381
Global Moderator
All cylinders

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 03:16:43 AM »

Yeah, everything made sense except for the timing. I am still going with the MSII config. I tried your msq and it came up with 681 errors. When you say 12 BTDC do you mean with a timing light? I am going over my LC-1 manual right now to make sure everything is correct. I used the analog out one to an AFR gauge and it responds to the warming up of the sensor. The red LED that comes with it also shows normal operation. Is there a way to attach files on these posts?

MS-II may not like the MSnSE MSQ.
That's OK, you can still import the VEX files - which are the 12x12 grids that are used for the timing and fuel tables.

I can send them to you directly, or you can load my MSQ in megalogviewer and export.

As you're getting a ton of errors and you're not using the same code version as me, I'd definitely stay away from loading my MSQ directly.

Timing:
I saw that your truck was indicating 21 degrees timing (BTDC).  If MS "commands" 21 degrees of timing, your timing light should show 21 degrees also.
Because this is the first time this truck has run on MS and because you can't use my MSQ, set your timing to be static at 12 BTDC for the purpose of gettnig it running.  Once it's idling OK, you can let it use the timing map.

Once you've got a stable idle, make sure that 12 degrees of timing in MS = 12 degrees BTDC on your distributor.  Rotatating the distribtor can "offset" the timing so you want to be sure that both are in sync.

Wideband:
You should use the analog #2 output of the LC-1, I believe it's the brown wire off the top of my head.  You have to tell megatune that you're using a wideband, which is in the configuration section.  The LC-1 also has to be calibrated before starting this process.. .If not calibrated, then you'll have issues.

Posting files:
Posting files requires that you've got some place to put them  / upload them on the internet.
Geocities offers free accounts that allow you to upload files.  www.geocities.com.
Once uploaded, it's pretty easy to link them here.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 03:44:44 AM by dcg9381 » Logged

dcg9381
Global Moderator
All cylinders

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 03:42:34 AM »

My most recent timing file is here:
http://lakebox.dnsalias.com/photos/1988%204runner/megasquirt/configuration/gold/goodspark.vex

In megatune, go to spark -> Spark Table 1 -> Import

My most recent fuel table is here:
http://lakebox.dnsalias.com/photos/1988%204runner/megasquirt/configuration/gold/goodfuel.vex

In megatune, go to tuning -> VE Table -> import

There is a chance that MS2 has higher resolution than MSnSE.  That is, the tables might not import, but you can take values from the tables posted on this forum, you'll have to copy and paste directly.

The way these tables work is the X axis is RPM.   The Y Axis is MAP (manifold pressure).

One possible way to go about utilizing my timing/fuel maps on an alternate motor is to load the VEX files, then adjust req_fuel until you get a nice idle...

« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 03:46:31 AM by dcg9381 » Logged

dcg9381
Global Moderator
All cylinders

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 04:11:59 AM »

My most recent timing file is here:
http://lakebox.dnsalias.com/photos/1988%204runner/megasquirt/configuration/gold/goodspark.vex

In megatune, go to spark -> Spark Table 1 -> Import

My most recent fuel table is here:
http://lakebox.dnsalias.com/photos/1988%204runner/megasquirt/configuration/gold/goodfuel.vex

In megatune, go to tuning -> VE Table -> import

There is a chance that MS2 has higher resolution than MSnSE.  That is, the tables might not import, but you can take values from the tables posted on this forum, you'll have to copy and paste directly...
Jeff's timing and VE table are also posted, as are other peoples.
Jeff's can be found:
http://www.22rte-trucks.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=7

The way these tables work is the X axis is RPM.   The Y Axis is MAP (manifold pressure).

One possible way to go about utilizing my timing/fuel maps on an alternate motor is to load the VEX files, then adjust req_fuel until you get a nice idle...

gonads_n_strife
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 12:33:22 AM »

Darin,
   The version of megatune I am running must be a little different from yours. I do not have the spark settings option. In my tool bar I have an Ignition Set-Up and the submenus under that

Ignition Set-UP-->Base Ignition Settings
                        -->Dwell Setting
                        -->Advanced Ignitions Options
                        -->Knock Threshold
dcg9381
Global Moderator
All cylinders

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 01:25:17 AM »

Here's the maual for megatune / MS-II:
http://www.megamanual.com/mt28.htm

Have you read this?  I know it's a lot, but it will walk you through what you need to do before turning that key..

It looks like it differs significantly from MSnSE.  I can understand why you're having trouble, to the best of my knowledge no one has done a 22RE with MS2 so there is no documentaton on correct settings.. Call me if you want a comparison / walk through.

gonads_n_strife
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 03:47:17 AM »

I hope to get this dialed in and document everything for the future. It would be nice for other people that might try to run the same thing. If all else fails.....I am going to go the MSnSe route. I did by two more V3 kits just in case something happens to this one.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: