Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2014, 11:21:39 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: New members: Due to spam -- and you wouldn't believe how much there is -- new membership is not granted automatically. To become a member, please complete the registration process AND send an email to admin@22rte-trucks.com. The email can be brief, and should demonstrate you are a real person interested in these trucks and not a spammer. Your privacy is respected, and your email address will never be shared. See this topic for more info.

New members MUST follow through with an email or their membership will not be approved.

Really: No email, no membership!

+  22RTE-Trucks
|-+  All 22RTE, all the time
| |-+  22RTE - General discussion
| | |-+  22R-TEC or 22RTE Best Fitting Aftermarket Exhaust Manifold for Turbo Fit
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 22R-TEC or 22RTE Best Fitting Aftermarket Exhaust Manifold for Turbo Fit  (Read 3320 times)
DJ94546
One cylinder

View Profile
22R-TEC or 22RTE Best Fitting Aftermarket Exhaust Manifold for Turbo Fit
« on: March 16, 2012, 09:15:20 AM »

Since cracking my manifold, I've been in search of an aftermarket replacement and have found only 2 that seem to fit half way decent. LC Engineering and Turbonetics. I've a got a weakness for all things Toyota and have bought quite a few thing from LCE between the 85 & 86s I own.

However, not too keen on a top mount turbo. Looks like all kinds of turbo heat management issues by flipping the turbo up to show it off  Roll Eyes I like the Turbonetics Manifold with it's side mount design. Unfortunately have heard zero about the company other, than they sell part 30525 for the 22RTEC and the picture doesn't look right. I see used pictures of the manifold on post and it looks closer to a factory fit which I like  Cool

If anyone has any experience with running this Turbonetics, LCE, or some manufacturer I may have missed, please share you experience.

With my motor just days from coming out of the machine shop. This search for a good manifold is keeping me up day and night trolling for the right catch and thank you for sharing your info!
URwhatUeat
Two cylinders

View Profile
Re: 22R-TEC or 22RTE Best Fitting Aftermarket Exhaust Manifold for Turbo Fit
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 05:01:14 PM »

I have my eye on a steed speed manifold. I think lc might still have a couple, but theyre top mount. which i think is better cause with a properly designed hood scoop, could be pretty cool (no pun intended- check out hairy situations.

To the Moon!!!
Ronmar
Global Moderator
All cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 06:43:22 PM »

The nice thing about the top mount is things are easier to plumb and work on.  I have been running a garrett on my own top mount design manifold(similar config to LC, but built of plate not tube) for 10 years now, and the only issue I have run into is needing to re-route the speedometer cable away from the downpipe.  The only thing i wish i would have done differently is to spec a Vband outlet turbo. A Vband would make it easier to fit the downpipe into the space available. IF this one ever quits, that is what I will switch to...

Ron

It ain't broke till I can't make parts for it...
My gallery
DJ94546
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 10:59:17 PM »

Thanks for the info guys. Glad to hear more about the top mount setup fit and the V band is good advice. Much appreciated for sharing the pics and the details to get this figured out!

There almost like now information on the Turbonetics manifold. So getting the Stead Manifold from LC Engineering + getting the GT25 kit is sounding the way to go. Like that it's built to last a just enjoy with regular maintenance!
URwhatUeat
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 09:03:02 PM »

lotta dough but thats what im going to be running eventually. Staying stock right now because i want my pile to pass smog, but cant wait for the day I can smoke all these frat boys in their mall-crawlers.

To the Moon!!!
DJ94546
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 01:41:41 AM »

Me too. Been doing some serious tubro charger research and shopping. I want a nice bottom end. So I'm going go with an A/R .42 / .49 on garrett T3 design turbo, as I understand this is a close to stock size.

I count the days / weeks to completion!
mosk
Pooh Bah
Administrator
All cylinders

Been there, done that

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 11:57:47 AM »

For reference, here are some pictures of the Turbonetics 22RTE manifold form Harry Wagner's old site:

Personally, I think the Steed Speed manifold is the way to go (unless you have mad fabrication skills like Ron). May want to shoot Leen Steed an email and see if he has any spare 22RTE manifolds around his shop, or is interested in offering another group buy, as you may be able to put together a better price than what LC charges.

Jeff

Ugly, but probably worth reading: Jeff's 22R-TE Page
Just sayin': If Ronmar and I both post on the same topic, listen to Ronmar! His answers are typically better and more accurate than mine. Cheesy
DJ94546
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 06:41:42 PM »

Thank you for the additional info & really informative pictures on how it mounts up!

I've finally got all the parts scraped together! I was able to get a really nice Japan OEM mfr made timing cover for my 22R-TEC with the two holes in for the oil pump. I got a new AISAN two hole turbo oil pump to match & really thankful that John's Foreign Engines offers it   Smiley Had ti get a new crank too as one in it had a worn out wood ruff key slot.

So now have the block stripped down, and all the parts needed to finally take it to my machine shop man! I really do like this side mount design and it looks sweet mated up to the engine and exhaust there!

Really hope the stock manifold I got does better than the last, and does not crack between #2 & #3 down the middle Cheesy Is anyone else in California running the Turbonetics manifold able to get the OK from the smog checkers Huh Be cool if I could run it.
BOOSTEDrunner

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 06:49:13 PM »

RONMAR... Can put up a link to or throw up some pictures or explain how or where you rerouted your speed cable! i dont wanna burn up another one! i am running a steedspeed manifold and it puts the downpipe right on the the cable! Thanks for the help!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length