Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2014, 01:10:46 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: New members: Due to spam -- and you wouldn't believe how much there is -- new membership is not granted automatically. To become a member, please complete the registration process AND send an email to admin@22rte-trucks.com. The email can be brief, and should demonstrate you are a real person interested in these trucks and not a spammer. Your privacy is respected, and your email address will never be shared. See this topic for more info.

New members MUST follow through with an email or their membership will not be approved.

Really: No email, no membership!

+  22RTE-Trucks
|-+  All 22RTE, all the time
| |-+  22RTE - For Sale and Wanted
| | |-+  1986 Toyota 4x4 Custom Cab 22RTE SOLD-Salinas California
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 1986 Toyota 4x4 Custom Cab 22RTE SOLD-Salinas California  (Read 7012 times)
pilotmike

View Profile
1986 Toyota 4x4 Custom Cab 22RTE SOLD-Salinas California
« on: April 11, 2011, 04:50:53 PM »

1986 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Custom Cab Turbo 22RTE, 5 speed manual
98,400 miles

Wow, try and find another one of these in this condition! People seem to either love it, or hate it, it's your choice!
Its incredible how this truck has lasted for over 25 years, with the original paint.
The interior is beautiful also. The seat has been recovered, and the faded carpet replaced.

In the 80's before small pickup crew cabs were avaialble, there were a few manufacturers that would take a regular cab truck, extend the frame, driveshaft, wiring, fuel and brake lines and install a fiberglass custom cab.
This one was manufactured by Custom Fab Mfg. of Oregon, out of Portland.
It has a full bench seat, with 3 seatbelts and armrests and a roll bar.

In 1986 Toyota started putting VIN stickers on all the body parts, this truck has all of them, so no panels have been replaced.
The only evidence of any rust is under the bed liner, near the edge of the tailgate. It isn't rusted through, so I don't think this is any big deal.
The frame and underside of the body are in great shape, pictures show what I am talking about.
I hate it when people rattle can everything uderneath, I would rather keep it all the way it came from the factory, not trying to hide anything.

The custom cab manufacturer added full carpeting and headliner.
This truck has the stock Toyota AM/FM radio, and does not have air conditioning.

The 22RTE, Turbo 22R, was only available in 1986 and 1987 Pickups and 4Runners, to compete with the Nissan V6 pickups, until Toyota offered a V6 in 1988.
This engine puts out 135hp at 4,800 rpm 173ft.lbs.of torque at 2,800 rpm.
This truck has no problem holding 70 mph on steep grades in 4th gear.
I am getting 15-16 mpg, mixed city and highway.

The engine is all stock, has all the emissions installed, and just passed California Emissions.
Its licensed in California, and I have the pink slip (title).

I have added:
31-10.50 x 15 BF Goodrich Mud Terrain KM2
ARB Front Bumper
Warn M8000 warn Winch
New Silverstar headlights
Carpet and floor mats

I thought after I put the winch and bumper on, I would have to adjust the torsion bars, but the truck sits perfect, I haven't adjusted anything.

I don't have many details of the previous owners, or repairs.
But I do have paperwork showing the head gasket was replaced at around 80,000 miles.At the same time the turbo and housing, along with the timing chain was replaced with the factory parts.

When I bought it, there was some sputtering at full throttle, but a quick scan of codes showed a faulty TPS (Throttle Postion Sensor), so that was replaced. The truck runs great with no issues.
Clutch feels perfect, transmission shifts perfect in every gear. Brakes work great also.

I love buying old Toyota 4x4's and making them better,then letting them go to have someone else apprectiate them. I know when this truck was new in 1986, all the guys my age at that time, beat them to death! I am not a dealer, I am a private owner and fan of old Toyota 4x4s.
It is so cool seeing trucks like this still on the road.
The paint still shines up good, but there are nicks and scratches and some door dings. Everything works as it should, lights, gauges, radio, turn signals, everything!

I am in no hurry to sell, so no, I wont take a $5000 offer Wink
Pics here http://s628.photobucket.com/albums/uu6/carsin831/1986cc4x4/
SOLD
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 10:52:09 AM by pilotmike » Logged
dcg9381
Global Moderator
All cylinders

View Profile WWW
Re: 1986 Toyota 4x4 Custom Cab 22RTE for sale $11,000-Salinas California
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 01:30:29 PM »

Mike, love the custom cab 22RTE truck... rare for sure.

Hector

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 02:30:01 PM »

Seems to be in pretty good shape. I cross paths with a silver one with the same body style in the mornings sometimes down here in s. Los Angeles, i use to think that it was kinda weird looking but i guess they made them like that. Good luck with your sale.
G
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 05:05:46 PM »

Looks nice! Definitely needs new brake and clutch fluid though.
pilotmike

View Profile
Re: 1986 Toyota 4x4 Custom Cab 22RTE for sale $7500-Salinas California
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 12:45:18 PM »

Will consider trades.
let me know what you have.
Nico

Papa Smurf

View Profile
Re: 1986 Toyota 4x4 Custom Cab 22RTE for sale $7500-Salinas California
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 01:51:35 PM »

I'd take $7500 not $5k for mine, but my wife would take $1500! Guess someone will score when my pic comes up in the obituaries.
Good luck not making the paper, but thats how I found mine. Huh
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 02:00:20 PM by Nico » Logged
pilotmike

View Profile
Re: 1986 Toyota 4x4 Custom Cab 22RTE SOLD-Salinas California
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 10:52:37 AM »

sold sold
Ronmar
Global Moderator
All cylinders

View Profile
Re: 1986 Toyota 4x4 Custom Cab 22RTE SOLD-Salinas California
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 07:26:06 PM »

Mine was just like that, except the paint had gold where yours was blue.  Still in that same paint, rotting in my yard.  Gave it to my daughter with a standard 22RE engine and trans in it and she destroyed it(panels wrinkled, doors tweeked, interior thrashed ect>) Sad  Going to pull the drivetrain, go thru all of it and build a custom 4runner out of a rolling chassis I have that has rearend damage(4 seats with a little custom pickup bed?)... 

Ron

It ain't broke till I can't make parts for it...
My gallery
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length