22RTE-Trucks
May 20, 2019, 11:12:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Hi all - Welcome back for the second time this month!

I apologize for the inconvenience of the site being offline. The site was down for technical reasons, but it didn't help that I was of offline for two weeks (camping and travel). Once I got back, it took a while to get things sorted out. That's resolved, and the site is now back up. Huzzah!

Please take a minute and read the Site News thread I've posted in the General section, and feel free to comment. Thanks!

mosk
Admin

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 22RTE conversion for beginners  (Read 66487 times)
ToyotasRfun
One cylinder

lifted/lowered toyotas= fun to me

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2009, 01:36:46 AM »

Hi Everybody, I just wanted to give back to this website some information. I found a lot of helpful insight on here and I wanted to share some of mine to help the person starting out doing a conversion like mine.

I chose to take a 1987 22RTE 4x4 truck and swap the engine into a 1993 2wd truck. The 1987 was a parts truck I bought and the frame was rotted out as well as the cab.  Now for my conversion I opted to use all the stock parts from the 22RTE. For me money is tight and I figure I want to get this conversion running then modify later like others on this site.  My conversion is not complete but, here are some things I changed that I thought might help others.

1.) The 22RTE computer will bolt into a 1990-1995 body style truck. The brackets are different but, if you remove the brackets off the old 22RE computer and put them on the 22RTE computer it will bolt in the stock location.

2.) The 1984-1988 22R, 22RE, 22RTE radiator will not fit into the 1990-1995 body style. The radiator will sit too high and the hood will hit it when closed. This is important because there is a an additional line off the radiator on 22RTE for this application. You can use a 1990-1995 radiator and T-off the top radiator hose. There are a few write ups on this website if you need to see what others have done. If you have a 4x4 truck with a body lift you may not have the fitment issues of a truck without a body lift.

3.) The throttle cable on the 22RTE uses a different cable hold down than the newer 22RE uses. This is an easy fix if you take the 1990-95 bracket off the intake and bolt it on to your turbo intake. 

4.) 4x4 vs. 4x2 for my conversion I went that route because I already had a 4x2 and a 4x4. If you do this same you will have to swap your oil pan, oil pick up tube. These are universal from 22RE and 22RTE engines.

5.) My wiring harness is the 1990-95 with the computer connections converted to the 1987 harness. I found it easier to cut and solder the wires rather then push out the pins on the connectors and reuse them that way. I did screw up with one connector and broke the plastic inside. I found that a 22RE truck from 1985-1988 is the same when it came to connecting to the computer. So I cut one off the 22RE truck and used it for my conversion. I also soldered connectors from the 1987 harness onto the 1993 harness for other connections as well.

Still with me? Not bored yet.

6.) I used the 2WD flywheel off my 22RE engine as well as my 22RE clutch. Also I chose to the stock 22RE 2WD slave cylinder as well. I don't do crazy burn outs anymore so I believe this should live a long time under my tender foot, maybe you can do the same. Also the 2WD trans bolted right up to the 22RTE engine.

7.) The 22RE starter and the 22RTE starter are the same. Also so is the alternator so that is another bolt in.

8.) I chose to update my fuel line from my fuel filter to the 22RE. I found the banjo bolt that they used on 1990-95 was easier to work with for me. I also used the 1990-95 fuel rail because it has to be used with that banjo bolt. The 22RTE injectors will work with this fuel rail.

I have to run right now, I will write more later...

One lifted, one lowered, neither one a sensible daily driver! Man, why can't I just think a Chevy Malibu is awesome?
mosk
Pooh Bah
Administrator
All cylinders

Been there, done that

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 06:30:27 AM »

Great info, ToyotasRfun -- thanks for the write-up! I'll move this to the FAQ section once the thread has run its course.

-Jeff

Ugly, but probably worth reading: Jeff's 22R-TE Page
Just sayin': If Ronmar and I both post on the same topic, listen to Ronmar! His answers are typically better and more accurate than mine. Cheesy
1project2many
Global Moderator
Two cylinders

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 08:56:15 PM »

Nice.  This certainly helps to bridge the gap between factory vehicles and the finished projects we sometimes see but know so little about.  But I guess we have to forego the requisite "burnout" pics? Smiley

Want to note that the ecu connectors change over the years.  There is a separation that develops between 2wd, 4wd manual trans, and 4wd auto trans vehicles in the number and size of pins as well as pin shape.  A swap between any of the RTE vehicles into a 2wd truck is going to be the easiest in terms of the wiring and a swap into an auto equipped 4wd is going to require some creativity (although it's nowhere near impossible).
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 09:28:10 PM by 1project2many » Logged
dcg9381
Global Moderator
All cylinders

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 04:40:59 PM »

As far as I'm aware all of the 1985-1988.5 4wd Truck and 4runner ECU connectors are the same.  I know that early EFI celica (pre 1985) is different and that after 1988.5 there is a significant variety of ECU/connector combos.    In 1985-1988.5 there are minor differences in the pins, but the connectors are the same and the pins can be removed.

Here's the ECU model number table:

And a little more help

And most importantly for 85-88.5 4wd Trucks and 4runners:

mosk
Pooh Bah
Administrator
All cylinders

Been there, done that

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 04:49:25 PM »

Great additions, Darin -- thanks!

-Jeff

Just sayin': If Ronmar and I both post on the same topic, listen to Ronmar! His answers are typically better and more accurate than mine. Cheesy
snow walker
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 06:06:38 AM »

Darin, I have an 86 4runner stock with a 22re and dropped in an 87 22rte and the main engine harness and ecu.
I am using the stock under dash harness and coil,igniter box and afm  that came in my 4runner. The truck will start and purr like a kitten for 2 seconds and then die. It will restart and do the same thing. Are these harness compatible or do I have to swap in the 87 under dash fuse box an harness? I had this same problem with the old motor and it turned out to be the black wire with a red stripe coming from the igniter box going to the main harness and into the ecu. It was almost broken in two. I spliced in a new wire and the problem was solved. I checked this wire and it was fine but I can't check it once it goes into the main harness. I will try to check it with a power probe an Sunday when the temp outside is not -20. Both trucks are a manual trans. Any help would be a great!

'86 4runner SAS high pinion E-locker  tacoma rear Detroit locker 4:88's
22rte, turbo trans with marlin duels, forged input and output shafts.
Bobby long axles, hub gears and hub studs.
dcg9381
Global Moderator
All cylinders

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 07:29:01 PM »

If it starts, that's a good indication that you have spark.
My first thought would be to verify that you're keeping fuel pressure (controlled by the AFM flapper).  Jumper the fuel pump if you have to.

After that, check for spark and injector pulse.

The two harnesses are compatible (see above) minus some 02 differences... Having said that, I haven't tried what you're doing...

Another thing to check is to make sure your injectors have good ground - there is a ground wire in the harness that grounds to the intake manifold.  Without it, your injectors won't pulse - and you might be starting via the cold start injector... Just a guess though.

rupertyotauser
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 08:44:46 AM »

Darin, I have an 86 4runner stock with a 22re and dropped in an 87 22rte and the main engine harness and ecu.
I am using the stock under dash harness and coil,igniter box and afm  that came in my 4runner. The truck will start and purr like a kitten for 2 seconds and then die. It will restart and do the same thing. Are these harness compatible or do I have to swap in the 87 under dash fuse box an harness? I had this same problem with the old motor and it turned out to be the black wire with a red stripe coming from the igniter box going to the main harness and into the ecu. It was almost broken in two. I spliced in a new wire and the problem was solved. I checked this wire and it was fine but I can't check it once it goes into the main harness. I will try to check it with a power probe an Sunday when the temp outside is not -20. Both trucks are a manual trans. Any help would be a great!

mine did that to me turned out it was a bad MAF connection
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 09:07:15 AM by mosk » Logged

86xtracab,22rte,Sas,53''rears,5.29s,35s,intercooler,T3swap...
85regcab,22r,sas,5.29,37boggers,aluminum-fueltank/crawlerbox
1project2many
Global Moderator
Two cylinders

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 02:04:44 PM »

Here's a document with ecu pinouts for 4 cylinder trucks from 86 to 94.  Connectors are designated for 2wd, 4wd, auto, or manual trans.  The three different connector designs are in three separate colors to help for quick identification.  I had to use a couple of different sources to put this together.  The publicly available service manuals do not cover all years and some of the aftermarket service information is confused about which ecu is in which truck. 

http://www.22rte-trucks.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10363/MasterPinoutList.pdf
HTH

Joeshow
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 02:25:17 AM »

hi, im just about done my swap, 1986 22RTE into an  1986 4runner (22re died) the RTE was from a truck. I changed both wire harnesses. the RTE harness doesn't have the connection for the back window or wiper and the re harness doesn't have the speed control connections(which I also believe has somethin to do with boost) after realizing all of these differences, I went with tearing my dash apart and changing the stock harness.

'86 Toyota 4Runner 22R-E, swapping in the 22R-TE soon!
above is my 6th maybe 7th Yota 4X4 Cheesy

Keep your Wheels Down!
G
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 03:08:01 PM »

Awesome, does anyone know if aem makes an ems that will work with this setup?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 12:49:51 AM by dcg9381 » Logged
mosk
Pooh Bah
Administrator
All cylinders

Been there, done that

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 04:03:16 PM »

The short answer is no. This is why:

http://www.22rte-trucks.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=357.0

Your aftermarket piggyback choices are very limited, as described above.

For standalone, the MegaSquirt has the most support/most users within this community, though other standalone systems have been used with great success. There's more info on that in the EFI forum.

Jeff

mmg

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 12:53:55 AM »

I have the same issue as snow walker on an '85 4runner 22re to an '87 22rte using the engine harness from the 22rte, runs great for 2 seconds and dies. Have checked air flow meter and also replaced the oxygen sensor but no change. It actually runs with the 22re computer, although rough and very rich. The ecu for the 22rte has been checked and is supposedly fine. Is there any rewiring that need be done? what might be my next move?
happygofishing

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 09:34:54 AM »

I have the same issue as snow walker on an '85 4runner 22re to an '87 22rte using the engine harness from the 22rte, runs great for 2 seconds and dies. Have checked air flow meter and also replaced the oxygen sensor but no change. It actually runs with the 22re computer, although rough and very rich. The ecu for the 22rte has been checked and is supposedly fine. Is there any rewiring that need be done? what might be my next move?
Dang, I'm in the same situation - my stock ECM on my 86 4x4 RTE will start and die, and I've swapped in an RE ECM and it ... ran rough and rich for a few trips, then went to running HORRIBLE (neutral can rev to about 3500rpm, but reluctantly). It sounds like I should recheck the injector grounds(but it runs on the RE ECM and pulling the CSI plugin has no effect on idle), and bypass the TPS and MAF harness wiring and try going straight to the ECM .... Did you find what was your problem? Is this a fuel cut?
Thanks in advance for any advice Smiley
mosk
Pooh Bah
Administrator
All cylinders

Been there, done that

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 05:42:53 PM »

Is it storing any codes? See this topic for more info on engine codes for our trucks and 4Runners.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: