22RTE-Trucks
December 18, 2017, 08:58:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New members: Due to spam -- and you wouldn't believe how much there is -- new membership is not granted automatically. To become a member, please complete the registration process AND send an email to admin@22rte-trucks.com. The email can be brief, and should demonstrate you are a real person interested in these trucks and not a spammer. Your privacy is respected, and your email address will never be shared. See this threadfor more info.

New members MUST follow through with an email or their membership will not be approved.

Really: No email, no membership!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 60mm throttle body upgrade (pane application)  (Read 22837 times)
Mr Stubs
Two cylinders

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2009, 04:12:59 AM »

This is a little tech on a big bore throttle body upgrade.

So this is a stock throttle body off of a 22re. It has a 55-mm bore and can be over bored to 58-mm

This is a stock throttle body from a 5mge (Supra/Cressida) It has a 60-mm bore.

Here is a pic of them side by side.

Before I get too deep in this be aware that there is two throttle linkage styles of TBs.
This is a link to a TB swap with the easier to convert style. It has crappy pics but will give you a idea of what it looks like. http://www.celica-gts.com/forums/index.php?topic=7543.0

This is the harder type to convert and the type that I will be talking about.

Now these TBs will bolt up but with two slight problems. One is the the single stud will need to be removed out of the bottom right side of the intake plume and moved to the bottom left.

The larger problem on bolt up is this.

As you can see, there is two small humps that need to be plugged. This could be done a number of ways (tig them closed, silicone, spacer plate, ext.) I made a spacer plate since my rig is going to be under boost and the throttle linkage needed to be modded (I will get to that in a minute)

Plate installed

Now that everything bolts up tight you will see that the intake plume needs to be match ported to the TB.

The my total "Blueberry Krunch" build..... http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=731541
Mr Stubs
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 04:14:58 AM »

You can see in this pic a black line on the gold plating. This is a cut line.

The piece is removed because will be in the way of the new
linkage arm.

The plastic cups on the linkage arm are just pressed on to a aluminum rod. I twisted them off and replaced the arm with a piece of small threaded rod. The cups will have epoxy in them to keep the rod from moving.

Now this makes for a better breathing system the equates to more go!

The my total "Blueberry Krunch" build..... http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=731541
mosk
Pooh Bah
Administrator
All cylinders

Been there, done that

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 07:24:54 AM »

Very nice write up, Mr. Stubbs! After the thread has run its course, I'll move it to the FAQ section.  Smiley

One comment: from personal experience, I think the linkage needs to be beefier. Even with epoxy, that nylon/plastic cup-to-all-thread connection is going to be trouble, especially once you take this off-road. I say this as someone who has had more robust linkage than that fail on the dyno. Grin

I suggest looking at the quick disconnect linkage components that McMaster-Carr sells:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#ball-joint-rod-ends/=4gapjr

They're around $5 each. You may need to switch out the ball ends, but those are included with the disconnects. They are all metal and well made.

Just my .02 cents,

Jeff
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 07:27:23 AM by mosk » Logged

Ugly, but probably worth reading: Jeff's 22R-TE Page
Just sayin': If Ronmar and I both post on the same topic, listen to Ronmar! His answers are typically better and more accurate than mine. Cheesy
ReelDeal
Two cylinders

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 01:44:36 AM »

Is the TB from a 7mge interchangeable with the TB from a 5mge for the purpose of this swap?
Thanks,
T
dfarr67
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 04:35:50 PM »

I elected to go to Maxbore for $100 including shipping- 58mm and no bs with fittment.
maetriques
One cylinder

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 03:24:08 AM »

I sure would like to know how that setup performed as my LCE 3mm overbore failed.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: